7.62 x 39 penetration test - winchester vs privi

nelly250

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
153   0   0
Location
Thunder Bay, ON
so I decided to test a 7.62X39 winchester 123gr SP against a privi partizan 123 gr psp. I shot one round of each into a stack of sears catalogues - which I think was a bit too hard of a medium. Both bullets didn't hold together very well and were destroyed pretty equally. I didn't bother weighing them because I couldn't tell what was mashed up paper and what was lead. The privi penetrated 4.75 inches, while the winchester made it 3.6-3.7 inches. The holes looked almost identical - it was kinda neat as you could flip the pages and watch the holes get bigger.

Anyways for you guys hunting with 7.62 x 39 it would seem that the privi may be a better choice, especially because the winchester stuff is hard to come by if you don't reload.
 
I'd love to see pics if you have them.

Privi group well in my cz 858 but that's all i've tried so far for S/P, thats what I carried last fall for hunting, with no luck. I have 3 different x39 SP's now and was planning to do a accuracy test to see which groups better in the 858 sometime this summer. I'll take pictures and report back. I didn't even know win made S/P x39, where'd you get them? What are you shooting too? SKS? 858? How is accuracy between the two?
 
I don't have any pics and I already tossed out the bullets, but like I said they were mangled. I'm shooting a cz 858, but I haven't done any accuracy testing either - I took three shots from 50 yards last year just to make sure i was on the paper with the winchesters, and I just bought the privi stuff on the weekend. The winchester stuff was factory and you can't get it from the states anymore, but I just assumed that the bullets themselves would still be available for reloaders - i don't reload x39 so i don't really know. I am not too concerned as far as accuracy goes I have open sights and a bad shooting eye- so I am limited to 50 yards, 75 at the most. I still may do another bullet test, but I am not sure what to shoot at - I need a target that doesn't stop them quite so fast.
 
shot a deer with PRVI's out of a cz-858 and all went right thorugh and deer was down very quickly will carry them again....
 
Back
Top Bottom