7.62x51 Nato

BrotherRockeye

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
286   0   1
Having just aquired my first SKS I went digging in my old ammo stash for some FMJ on strippers that I found along the way...hoping...
They weren't 7.62x39 so I searched the headstamp and found this:
7.62 x 51 Nato, copper full metal jacket, brass primer, headstamp NATO symbol DA 60

That's them,made by Dominion Arms,all on 5 round strippers.
Curious as to what they were/are used in.

THNX.
 
you REALLY DON'T KNOW?????-just to start off, fn, m14, g3, anything before the mousegun took over- yours were probably canadian fn, and maybe out of a bandolier, as the usual issue was a 20 round cardboard box
 
lol-if I knew I wouldn't ask...

other than taking my first deer with a LE decades ago,and taking this SKS on trade,I have no experience with military iron.
I'm an octagon barrels and 6 shooter type...


ok now what's a mousegun?
 
7.62x51 = .308 Win (close enough).

You have some 1960's Canadian made 7.62 ammo.. nice! As noted, probably intended for use in the FN-FAL (C1)

If you have a .308 Win rifle, just use them in that. Otherwise, send it to me for proper disposal. ;)

Oh - and a 'mousegun' is what old fudds and bluehairs call any 5.56mm (.223) rifle. Started with the M16A1, and now it's used as a derogatory term for pretty much all 5.56mm rifles in old fart circles.
 
7.62x51 = .308 Win (close enough).

You have some 1960's Canadian made 7.62 ammo.. nice! As noted, probably intended for use in the FN-FAL (C1)

If you have a .308 Win rifle, just use them in that. Otherwise, send it to me for proper disposal. ;)

Oh - and a 'mousegun' is what old fudds and bluehairs call any 5.56mm (.223) rifle. Started with the M16A1, and now it's used as a derogatory term for pretty much all 5.56mm rifles in old fart circles.

if cooper can call it a mousegun, i'm in good company-
 
"...FN C1 rifle and C2 Light Machine Gun..." And the old 1919 .30 Browning MG and current C6 GPMG. Belted, of course.
DA ammo was far superior to the IVI that came later. IVI was reliable, but not very accurate. DA ammo was both.
"...FMJ on strippers..." Isn't the same stripper clip and you don't need FMJ's for an SKS.
 
"...FN C1 rifle and C2 Light Machine Gun..." And the old 1919 .30 Browning MG and current C6 GPMG. Belted, of course.
DA ammo was far superior to the IVI that came later. IVI was reliable, but not very accurate. DA ammo was both.
"...FMJ on strippers..." Isn't the same stripper clip and you don't need FMJ's for an SKS.

Isn't the 1919 in 30-06? I know it can be modified for 308 and 8mm, but didn't the military just use them in 30-06?
 
Isn't the 1919 in 30-06? I know it can be modified for 308 and 8mm, but didn't the military just use them in 30-06?

no, the m1919 was indeed in 7.62x51- it was used on the tripod as well as vehicles- the breech blocks and a bunch of other things were different- the us navy also modified the 1919 instead of using the m60- as a rad op on a m113, this was my primary- we also had the big D handle for charging , not the wooden roller
 
Holy Hijack Scott...you need to read some stickies my friend.
How much snow did S'toon get yesterday btw? :p

anyway...
so if the amount of folks that want this ammo is any indication,I'm thinking it's hard to come by...is that so or is there another reason for all the interest?
The collector sight I got the info off had it priced per round,but it wasn't outrageous like some ammo.
Anyone wanna clue in the rookie?
 
How much did you find? Are we talking a few boxes or a case? If you have a case or so, you should get yourself a Norinco M-14 for a blaster. You already have lots the ammo so might as well get a gun to shoot it.

Reason their is so much interest is Surplus 7.62x51 is hard to come by in Canada as the NRCAN who controls the import permits wont allow most of it into the country and I don't think Canada surplussed that much in the first place as the Anti-movement was in full swing by the time the CF replaced the 7.62 NATO round.
 
Back
Top Bottom