It used to be cheap but the machine gun owners rechambered some of their guns and burned most of it up.
It's quite a powerful round. I rechambered a K98 Mauser to take the cartridge. I used a 29 inch barrel initially but it was badly worn and didn't shoot well at all. Found a barrel with an almost pristine bore that someone had worked over with a chisel to remove the rear sight and installed that. I was very surprised at how well those old cartridges performed. There was some question at the time pertaining to the primers being corrosive. YES, they are. When I pulled the 29in bbl, I intentionally didn't clean it after putting 10 rounds down the tube. Within a week, a fine dusting of rust was present through the whole bore. About 2 months later, it was a full blown bloom of rust.
Thanks for bringing up the subject of the 8x63, I had forgotten I had the rifle and ammo. I have also reloaded the cases with some very expensive Berdan primers. It really is a powerful round when loaded with 200+ grain bullets. I can see why the Swedes added muzzle brakes to the Kar 98 carbines they built for their machine gun crews. It is very similar to the 8mm-06 or 8mmGibbs in performance.
Contact CGN member "andy", he did a lot of experimenting with the cartridge and may have some that he's willing to part with.