It is a very nice looking '73 that isn't ever going to be a shooter. I would leave it as is.
The rear sight appears to be a replacement, installed backwards.
How is the bore? Might be an idea to just salt it away until a replacement receiver turns up.
Don't make any sudden moves with that rifle. Even in that condition,it's still worth a pretty penny. One of my boys has one that was still in use up until 5 years ago that was gifted to him from an older retired farmer he used to help out with chores after school every day until the farmer passed away and the farm was sold. I researched the serial number through Winchester's web site showing it was an original Winchester 73 built in 1881 just before a fire destroyed Winchester's manufacturing plant taking some,but,not all,serial number records. Of course,the rifle is no longer used. It was cleaned as usual and appraised at $4K USD.
I'm not much up on 73 stuff, but from the picture I'm seeing is the receiver split up top there? can it not be repaired?
This is what I was thinking... I suspect it would seriously affect the collector value though. I am not up on such things..
Still a sweet ol rifle though, if the bore is usable... Is it a .44?
This is what I was thinking... I suspect it would seriously affect the collector value though. I am not up on such things..
Yes my message box is full...and it has been pretty much every day since this post has come up.
It seems this is a sought after piece... but I honestly do not not what to ask and I'm not looking to get 'Pinked' by encouraging bidding wars.
I'm sitting at around 7-8 unsolicited requests to buy it... selling it without proper research seems foolhardy.
Watch the EE as most folks do, it may come up or not...best I can do.
Mod's, please note I am trying hard to not transgress on site rules.



























