777

vega

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Location
BC Interior
Hey all, a couple days ago I was down in Kamloops and tried to buy some black powder, the guy behind the counter at Wholesale Sports looked at me like I was from a different planet, and ended up selling me a pound of Triple Seven.

I hate to use substitutes, but I'm stuck with it, and just wanted to ask if I can load this stuff volume for volume of BP?

Thanks.
 
You can load volume for volume but triple 7 velocity will be 15% higher and I cannot tell you what pressures will be like if using FFg but I do know the FFFg pressures will run up on you. I like the stuff for punching paper as I can shoot alot more before having to swab the barrels especially in the small cals. Could I ask were you got and if it's FFg as I'm looking for some and will be through kamloops in a few days. Always see the FFFg.
 
I had an opportunity to compare Triple 7 and Goex BP in my 1851 .36, using equal volumes of each.... the Triple 7 clocked in at 915 FPS and the Goex at 751 FPS.
I found that the 777 fouled the internals "trigger and hammer" more than the Goex. I would have to take the gun apart to clean it out after about 200 rounds. The 777 seems to produce a lot more black soot so I am sticking with the BP as long as I can maintain a supply. There are individuals around here that sell the Goex but so far I haven't found any retailers willing to stock it.
In any case the Triple 7 will work for you but it says on the container to cut back 15 % on volume for maximum loads.
 
Thanks all. I'll have to read that link. I don't see how you are not supposed to compress 777 as you pretty much have to loading ml or cartridges. Weird. Smoke, it is FF, Wholesale is up by Aberdeen Mall way, more or less.

Also, I can't read the directions etc on the can as somebody slapped this big sticker over it, english and french, all kinds of useless info.

It just confounds me how retailers are afraid of the real BP, considering that the average household has all kinds of stuff around that is a lot more flammable, explosive or unstable. Propane, gasoline, solvents etc.

I'll read the link and try and see if Hodgson's has a site that explains the skinny on proper use.

Thanks again.
 
Not sure how to post a link but hodgdon has a decent amount of info on there site. Don't bother trying to peel that label nothing of use under it. I believe it says you can compress up to .100".
 
Last edited:
I tried ff 777 in 45-70 under 500gr cast, compressed maybe a 1/16". Worked fine, lots of smoke and not brutal on the shoulder. Never measured the pressure, maybe I will next time.

the brass discolors very quickly after firing, so if you are concerned with this a jar (old peanunt butter container works good) with water and a glug of vinegar to toss them in after firing will keep your brass from turning brown.
 
Last edited:
You should still be able to get FFFg from a blasting-powder dealer. Comes in 25-pound cardboard cartons with a big plastic bag inside. The real thing, too: none of these bl***y substitutes. It still has uses in stumping and as a slow explosive where you don't want too much damage to what you are moving.
.
 
Back
Top Bottom