8 bore flinter

chasseur

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
90   1   0
Location
, Nova Scotia
Thinking about having an 8 bore flint sporting rifle built along these lines
(except I want a shotgun butt) what do you think?

3510-P10SILO.jpg
 
I have a percussion 8 bore single. Weight is not a problem but it is a little slower to swing than say a 12 bore. Been a while since I have shot it but I think 150 grains of powder and 1 7/8 oz of shot. Recoil is reasonable with that load.
Other than the fun of having a large guage, I don't think there is a lot of advantage in the heavy guages. You cannot use them for migratory birds and on upland game their bulk makes them slower to bring up and get on target.
I shouldn't bad mouth them too much however, I do have several two double 9s, a single 8, a single 6 and a single 5 (smooth rifle)

cheers mooncoon
 
Well this would be a rifle not a smooth bore and it has a slow twist barrel that would allow for heavy loads without stripping the rifling.Would be primarily for hunting when the mood hits
 
Brian at GunMart" in Brockville has a new 4 bore smoothbore on his rack. It was made years ago by a pair of old time gunsmiths. For you guys who enjoy all this pain! It is a bear to swing but you would be the only one on the firing point with one... I think.
 
THAT is gonna be one SERIOUS Moose gun!

You guys scare me: I thought I had some big guns, but a single 11, a double 11 cartridge gun and a double 10 sort of pale into insignificance when confronted with 6s, 8s and 9s.

When I lived on Fogo Island, there were still a few old guys hunting with their 'three-quarter' and 'seven-eighths' guns: generally anything up to about a 6. They knew the things were legally classed as 'artillery', but how else do you do a 75-yard shot on 50 or 60 birds? They were about EATING during the Winter, not about 'sporting'.
 
You might try October Country, "www.octobercountry.com", they offer a Heavy Rifle in single or double barrel. Their No. 4 rifle fires a .989 1400 grain round ball, that should be sufficient for moose. The 8 bore is currentlu about $5,000.00.
 
Last edited:
My 4 bore Rawbone is also from Capetown but the bore in it is only .950. This is a project gun that I am working on. The 8 bore is a JSF Bortha also from Capetown. both guns were made in Birmingham and sold in Captown and would date in the 1880's
 
Back
Top Bottom