'86 just walked into my kitchen

smellie

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Location
rural manitoba
The other day, I was enjoying a quiet coffee when my neighbour came walking into my kitchen. He was carrying an 1886 Winchester in .45-70 and wanted to know if it was worth anything and if he could get a box of shells for it.

Well, I load .45-70, so that was no problem and there are 2 shops within an hour that stock it, so.... no problem.

But he wanted to know if it 'was worth anything' and there, frankly, I was stumped.

It is a genuine 2-owner rifle. The man who bought it originally gave it to my neighbour.... in 1946. It is a 1901 rifle, round barrel, rifling 'way excellent (I don't think it has fired 100 rounds), Lyman rear sight, Lyman front sight. Stock is standard-grade Winchester wood (walnut, of course, NOT gumwood). The original colour case-hardening has faded and the gun is going gray (so am I, for that matter, and I'm a lot younger than it). NO rust. One tiny mar on the wood. Round barrel, 26 inches, of course.

It is a very nice, completely original specimen, smooth and quick.

Can you give me any idea what such a thing might be worth?

If it were a cut-down Lee-Enfield I could help him myself, but something this nice is out of my league.

Thanks, guys.
 
This is like asking "is my wife/girl friend pretty" without pictures it is pretty much pointless, but I will play anyway. Round barrels usually go for less but the way you describe it, $1800-$2500.
Let the arguing begin;)
 
This is like asking "is my wife/girl friend pretty" without pictures it is pretty much pointless, but I will play anyway. Round barrels usually go for less but the way you describe it, $1800-$2500.

Kinda like a blind date I once had. She told me she was a figure skater, and when I met her she looked like she'd just eaten a couple of them. At least guns never get fat... Seriously though if it's as clean as you say I'd think in the 1800-2500 range is about the going price (and precisely why I don't own one).
 
One friend just came here with a 86 in 40-82 with H.B.SPENCER
OTTAWA
CANADA on the receiver
Does someone know something about this inscription?
Thanks.
 
This particular 1886 arrived at one of my buddies home near Rimouski, QC last Friday. I did some research on HB Spencer and found out that a man by that name was in the train business back in the 1800s. I only saw pictures of the rifle but my friend tells me that the engraving was done before the case hardening was applied. I sent an Email to the CFM in Cody to get the Factory information. I should have an answer tomorrow and will post the result. It would be quite nice if the records stated that the engraving was done by Winchester.
 
Reply from CFM in Cody:
Serial number applied 23 July 1891
Rifle
Caliber: 40/82
Barrel type: octagon
Trigger: plain
Received in warehouse: August 7, 1891
Shipped from warehouse: September 17, 1891
No note of engraving in Winchester records.
 
Last edited:
One friend just came here with a 86 in 40-82 with H.B.SPENCER
OTTAWA
CANADA on the receiver
Does someone know something about this inscription?
Thanks.
Googling that name turns up a C.P.R eastern division superintendent working in Ottawa in the late 1880s, sounds important enough, maybe a gift? Edit: should have scrolled down a post or two, can't get any better than that!
 
You can see if you look at his profile, he comes and looks around every now and again, that being said he hasn't posted in years. Truly a shame as I really valued the information he provided
 
Back
Top Bottom