8mm Lebel revolver bullets where?

I use 11 grains of fff goex. I use the .330 NEI mold and put it in a trimmed down 32-30 case. If you can get a mold other than NEI do that because the NEI guy is terrible to deal with. I have also used the "Gads" jacketed custom rounds and they jammed in the gun every time. There is a lot of cleaning but the GOEX is fun to shoot and I always have it around.
 
so far i found
2.8-3.3 unique
2.8 bullseye
11.0 FFF goex

compared different loads and came up with this
3.2 win 231
2.5-3.0 trailboss
can anyone tell me if this will work? or have tried it? i really like Trailboss powder it fills the case nicely.
 
Last edited:
Let me know. These are cheap guns to get and nice. So info would be cool to have. Any chance you can test trailboss? Powder is awesome for these kind of cases

I was initially thinking 3.7-grains of the IMR-700X :redface: , but that might be pretty hot for the 'ol 1892.....:yingyang:

I actually was taking a cue from first looking to loadings for the .327 Federal Mag with an eye to "down-loading" them :) , because a 90 grain "LHBWC" bullet with 2.2-grains of IMR 700-X goes at 810 FPS and generates aprox. 12,700 PSI......;)
 
Sorry for digging up an old thread.
Do my custom rounds with Trailboss powder.
Not sure about grains but 75-80% charge (100% is full case up to the bottom of the bullet) of Trailboss works just fine.
Really like Trailboss... it's bulky and specifically designed for mild cowboy action shooting.
 
Sorry for digging up an old thread.
Do my custom rounds with Trailboss powder.
Not sure about grains but 75-80% charge (100% is full case up to the bottom of the bullet) of Trailboss works just fine.
Really like Trailboss... it's bulky and specifically designed for mild cowboy action shooting.

I used 3.0 gr of trailboss with .325 111gr fmj at max COL for 8mm and its nice load. accurate and not hard on the gun. I also resized some 9mm led bullets to 323 and their weight turned around 123 gr. These were even more accurate with 3 gr of trailboss.
Love this powder as well.
G76
 
Thank you for your prompt feedback ))
I've got a can of Power Pistol powder... it's usage is described as "Moderate pistol cartridges".

Just wonder if anyone is using Power Pistol powder to reload for 8mm French lebel revolver and if so what is the amount of charge in grains or grams?
 
I imagine it's best to stick with things that have been tried and are safe. Having said that... it's always nice to find out other options.
 
I appreciate your advise but as soon as I run out of Trail Boss supplies, will have to find a way to use Power Pistol powder.
As far as I understand 8mm lebel rounds are similar to 32ACP in terms of 700-800 fps.
Probably 32-20 reloading data will do... but slightly like 10% reduced.
Will do my homework and report back.
 
I was initially thinking 3.7-grains of the IMR-700X :redface: , but that might be pretty hot for the 'ol 1892.....:yingyang:

I actually was taking a cue from first looking to loadings for the .327 Federal Mag with an eye to "down-loading" them :) , because a 90 grain "LHBWC" bullet with 2.2-grains of IMR 700-X goes at 810 FPS and generates aprox. 12,700 PSI......;)

Interesting load to try in my Swiss 1882.

Another positive plug for Trail Boss.

3.2-3.3 grains of TB behind a deep seated .314" 100 grain waxed lead wadcutter in an uncut 32-20 case is pushing 865 fps.
 
According to Alliant powder reloading guide 4.4 grains of Power Pistol powder in Starline 32-20 case pushing 98 grain bullet at 1033 fps.
Let us do the math... one grain of Power Pistol will push a 100 grain bullet at 234 fps.
So a safe load for 1892 Lebel revolver is around 2.8 grains of Power Pistol powder... around 657 fps.

Alliant_Power_Pistol_for_32_20.jpg


A quick question for you guys.
Are you using small rifle primers or small pistol primers?
 
COL is very important. If bullet seated deeper then what is recommended then charge should be adjusted. I wouldn't worry too much with few points of a grain, won't affect anything. Besides Mle 1892 is built like a tank, it will digest anything you load in to it, within sence ofcourse.
I only use pistol primers.
 
Good point, I'm glad you brought it up.
According to reloading data found on the web an 1892 round lengh is 37mm max.
One should always use a caliper when hand loading.
You can get a nice digital caliper from Canadian Tire like $10 on sale.
From personal experience with 75-80% of TrailBoss charge and TMJ bullets I was getting like 36.7mm COL.
That was cause I trimmed 32-20 to 27mm before expanding and full size resizing.
After expanding and resizing case length was shorter... around 26.7mm.
So I guess the best recipe is to trim 32-20 cases to 28mm keeping in mind after expanding and resizing case length will be around 27.3 - 27.5mm.
As to primers I was using Remington small rifle ones.
 
Back
Top Bottom