9mm AR

Hot_Oatmeal

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Ontario
Like most people, I want some range ammo and some self defense ammunition for my 9mm AR. I see in other threads Winchester ammunition for range ammo. When I go to the Winchester site, there are many different cartridge and bullet types of 9mm ammunition:
9mm Luger
9mm Luger +P
9mm Luger Winclean

I know that the +P means that it is a more powerful powder load. Winclean seems to be a Total Metal Jacket - or maybe it's a full brass bullet. I can't tell from the picture. My guess is the Winclean ammo is very clean, and also very expensive.

So, it seems to me that the Winchester 9mm Luger ammunition would be my best choice for range ammo. The 9mm Luger ammunition comes in 7 different bullet types:
Super Clean NT
Silvertip Hollow Point
Bonded PDX1
Full Metal Jacket
Full Metal jacket - Flat Nose
JHP
Flat Enclosed Base

So, it seems that the Full Metal Jacket would be my best choice for range ammo. My guess is that the Flat Enclosed Base would be cleaner, but also much more expensive


Two of them seem identical in the comparison. My guess is that the 115 grain bullet would be cheaper than the 124 grain bullet. My guess is that the best option would be to get the bullet that most closely matched the weight of the self defense bullet that I decide on.

How does all that sound? Should I look at something else instead.
 
Theres a guy on youtube who i believe has tested most of those rounds in expansion tests , i would recommend checking that out .

Flat enclosed base is going to be just your regular total metal jacket , its just a fancier term .

Winclean from what i understand has no lead in the bullet is a solid copper round and i believe they use some sort of clean burning primer with no antimony/lead etc

As far as a self defense round goes , if it were allowed , i would choose the bonded PDX1 out of those choices or even Winchester law enforcement hollow points in 124 grain . Out of all the rounds you listed these 2 are the ones that have not suffered from clogging or jacket/core separation .

May i also recommend looking at Speer gold dot , Sabre defense and Federal Hydra-shok brands they also have had good tests .
 
Hi. Don't bother with a self-defense load. Self-defense with a firearm is, for all intents and purposes, not allowed in Canada. However, if it ever came to pass that you did, you'd have to consider where and bullet you fire ends up. Hit somebody/something way down the street, several miles/kilometers away or your next door neighbour's house, you are responsible. Most 9mm ammo will go right through doors and non-solid walls
"...Winclean ammo..." It has a primer with a non-toxic priming compound. Nothing to do with the powder. Comes with a JHP or a closed base. No FMJ.
+P means higher pressures. May or may not have more powder. There are no SAAMI(Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute) specs for +P ammo.
In any case, since you don't seem to be reloading, yet, you'll have to try a box of as many brands and bullet weights as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. The price of said ammo means nothing.
Last time I shot a 9mm AR, it was an M16K SMG. Used IVI ball ammo(124 grain RNFMJ). Fed and shot well on FA. A like bullet will do nicely.
 
The best thing to do is try it out. I was convinced I knew the best load from reading about them on the internet. Than I took it out to the range and my nice tight group turned into a shotgun pattern. It may be the "best" on paper, but you gotta get what works for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom