a .45 cal BP rifle 451 or 454 ball?

Since this gun we fired is a repro of an antique I am starting to think that I should have used round ball and patch. That would definitely make a difference between tightness as it was too loose and y as well as poa.
Well is a learning process. So ball and patch next time. Thank you for all advise.
 
You also might want to bench the gun and shoot for group, comparing the accuracy with different loads. Go up in 5 grain jumps. Some guns are fussy and some guns are not as to a favourite powder charge

cheers mooncoon
 
Well. it was first time. My uncle who actually owns the gun had such a blast wouldnt stop talking about it. I am unfortunately leaving Edmonton area to continue on the trip but i think the seed has hit a fertile ground for us both. I will be saving some cash to get one of these rifles and learning more about it.
Thank you all for advice and kind words.
 
......By the way, cleaning your BP gun after shooting it is essential. Be sure to read up on what you have to do to properly clean a pinned rifle like the Kentucky.

Happy shooting!

Yep, you want to swab out the barrel that evening.

One important note since you're new to front stuffers. DO NOT USE A BRONZE BORE BRUSH ! ! ! ! ! The bristles flex back when you push it in and then that locks the brush in the bore since there's no way to push it through then pull back.

If you feel you MUST use a bore brush for cleaning get a long rifle one which is somewhat smaller than the bore of your gun and bend it into an arc. This way you can brush the bore but the center twisted wire works like a spring and it won't lock in place.
 
One important note since you're new to front stuffers. DO NOT USE A BRONZE BORE BRUSH ! ! ! ! ! The bristles flex back when you push it in and then that locks the brush in the bore .

I must be doing something wrong because I have been using oversized bronze brushes for over 30 years. Seriously however, with a new brush, when you go to pull it back, rotate the rod at the same time as pulling. I use two Outer's shotgun rods screwed together to give me about a 4 foot rod and I use their 20 / 28 guage brushes in everything from 50 to 60 caliber.

what is important to avoid using are the brushes which are crimped into the threaded portion. With age they can pull out while still in the bore. The better type of brush looks very similar but the twisted wire which holds the bristles passes crossways through the threaded portion of the brush

cheers mooncoon
 
So I went to get patches and balls for this .45
Now do I get .451 or 454 balls?
Is there difference between revolver or rifle balls??
I'm at wholsale sp. I need a decision...
Please help guys
Thanks.
 
Yup, depends on the store.

Reading up on your rifle and it appears .451 with a .010 - 0.11 patch should work well....lots of guys shoot .440 as well as mclean says

Mooncoon had a few great explanations on how to confirm whether a load is "too tight".

Good luck & happy shooting
 
Check the Pedersoli website, I remember seeing special Pedersoli moulds for their pistols :confused: pistol barrels are bored out metric, but they still sell them by the calbre. So say for example a 45 pistol would need a 451 mould as opposed to a 440 or 445. That could explain the differnce in size on your rifle.
Cheers nessy.
 
Back
Top Bottom