A 7.62x51 milsurp corrosive?

kayaker1

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Location
EDM
Hi all,
At the range today while chatting with a friendly gent, he informed me that my 7,62x51 milsurp ammo was probably corrosive. I received 50 rounds from a friend and the friend said it was 80's vintage. (FWIW its more accurate in the Savage 11 than Fed 150gr Powershocks!)

It has the NATO 'cross' headstamp and a 'DA' (Dominion Arsenal Canada?) and '65', which I interpret as T-65, the militray moniker for 7.62x51? Just those 3 headstamps.

I was told that the 65 indicated the date of manufacture -1965?

I have also read that no western country has ever made corrosive 7.62x51?

So, does anyone know if this is corrosive - I personally doubt it.
Oh yes, the brass is also boxer primed.
Thanks
 
1956 International Match ammunition made by Frankford Arsenal is corrosive. Other than that, I believe that all other 7.62x51 made by western countries is non-corrosive.
 
The Czech ammo with the black primer, and the Czech stuff with the red primer sealant is corrosive. Its also Berdan primed as well.
I used to have 4800 rounds, now I'm down to about 800.
 
Who cares if the stuff is corrosive! Clean your guns and it's no problem.
If it still bothers you though - send it to me.
 
Back
Top Bottom