A bit of a conundrum

pmatuk

CGN frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Location
DC Northern BC
I noticed a colt saa in 44 special with a 44-40 barrel made in 1891 .Here is where I encounter the conundrum ,it has no rcmp letter and the barrel is in a no go cal .I went through the thread that states that the RCMP stopped lettering antiques from no go to ok calibers .
my queerie is that the colt may have started of life as a 44-40 and now chambers the 44 special ,but no letter .Would it be considered a restricted under the RCMPs newer policy or could it still be lettered to antique statis
 
I think the critical feature is that the chamber cannot accept any cartridges on the no-go list. I have a SAA chambered in 44 russian and fitted with a Uberti 44 magnum barrel. because the original barrel was completely unserviceable. If the gun currently meets the criteria for a antique and is not registered, it should not be a problem. If the gun is currently registered and you want it deregistered as an antique, you run into the problem of the RCMP enforcing policy rather than law. In the stickies at the top you will find the actual law which governs antiques and I would suggest printing out a copy and keep that with the gun in case you are ever challenged

cheers mooncoon
 
I would add that the RCMP have enacted Policy, not Law, so unless you are one of the folks that needs to go through them in order to have a gun de-registered, there is no reason to deal with them.

Unless you WANT to register the gun, anyways. Though you may well have read that several times, it bears repeating.

Cheers
Trev
 
Obtaining a "letter" of antique status is in effect 'registering' your gun. When things change, as they are all the time, your "antique" may be reclassified.

At one time, "antique" revolvers for collection were not registered UNLESS you wanted to shoot them. That automatically elevated them to "registered" status. That is how a lot of "antiques" came to be registered and now require a "letter" to regain "antique" status.
 
Actually the gun started out in the US army,the bbl is unmarked as to caliberI just assumed it was 44 40.
Made.before 1897,not in one of the bad calibers ergo antique.no registration required,no pal.
Just as good as any other antique 44sp. out there
 
Actually the gun started out in the US army,the bbl is unmarked as to caliberI just assumed it was 44 40.

I think the US army used 45 long colt shells; you might be wise to slug the bore and confirm its bore dimensions. I bought an antique revolver lettered as a 44 russian. Stupidly I never slugged the barrel first and then could not hit the broad side of a barn shooting from the inside out. The barrel was actually .451 and the cylinder was 44 russian. I bored the cylinder out to 45 Scofield being careful to leave a shoulder so that a 45 long colt shell would not fit

cheers mooncoon
 
Yep ,Snurge it is the one you listed that got me wondering .The confusion was the barrel being called 44-40 ,but no marking of such ends the confusion .I have my answers now as the important part is that it was never in the system
Tks Peter
 
Yep ,Snurge it is the one you listed that got me wondering .The confusion was the barrel being called 44-40 ,but no marking of such ends the confusion .I have my answers now as the important part is that it was never in the system
Tks Peter

I've deleted that bit from the ad to reduce confusion.
 
Back
Top Bottom