I sent some photos to Brent Wilburn at Antique Arms Inc in the U.S. asking him if this was a Confederate P53 rifle-musket.
He has sold a number of these Confederate P53s in the past.
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/
This was his answer.
David
I'm not in the office in front of my computer but looked at your photos, very well done I would like to add, and would say that what you have there is a very good example of a Confederate Enfield I can see the S a tiny bit of the j and most of the anchor. That mark is extremely important to the value and in my opinion yours has enough to be definitely Confederate. Congrats. Great find!
Regards
Brent Wilburn
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My photos that I sent him.
Inventory control number on this Confederate imported P53----# 1121.
Brit regulations specified that all arms were to have a number not to exceed four digits engraved “and in no instance stamped or punched" on the butt plate, the ramrod, the bayonet socket, the bayonet scabbard stud, and the waist belt.

The rifle-musket in question.
The sling shown is not correct for this M1853 rifle-musket.

1861 lock date on this Tower rifle-musket.

24 bore is .58 calibre, typical of many Enfields made for the American market.
The Confederates did not stipulate that .577 was the regulation calibre until 1862.

The big question!
These Confederate P53s are supposed (sometimes but not always---if it was a state purchase) to have a J S /Anchor marking behind the trigger guard like the photo shown below from Antique Arms Inc.

This is what is left of these markings on my P53.
A possible "S" with the bottom part of a "J"......no visible Anchor.

All very thought provoking!
David
Facing this must not have been pleasant.


He has sold a number of these Confederate P53s in the past.
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/
This was his answer.
David
I'm not in the office in front of my computer but looked at your photos, very well done I would like to add, and would say that what you have there is a very good example of a Confederate Enfield I can see the S a tiny bit of the j and most of the anchor. That mark is extremely important to the value and in my opinion yours has enough to be definitely Confederate. Congrats. Great find!
Regards
Brent Wilburn
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My photos that I sent him.
Inventory control number on this Confederate imported P53----# 1121.
Brit regulations specified that all arms were to have a number not to exceed four digits engraved “and in no instance stamped or punched" on the butt plate, the ramrod, the bayonet socket, the bayonet scabbard stud, and the waist belt.

The rifle-musket in question.
The sling shown is not correct for this M1853 rifle-musket.

1861 lock date on this Tower rifle-musket.

24 bore is .58 calibre, typical of many Enfields made for the American market.
The Confederates did not stipulate that .577 was the regulation calibre until 1862.

The big question!
These Confederate P53s are supposed (sometimes but not always---if it was a state purchase) to have a J S /Anchor marking behind the trigger guard like the photo shown below from Antique Arms Inc.

This is what is left of these markings on my P53.
A possible "S" with the bottom part of a "J"......no visible Anchor.

All very thought provoking!
David
Facing this must not have been pleasant.


Last edited:

























































