A little help from the gurus please!

Tuscani922

Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Northwest GTA
Hey everyone,

I am hoping to get a little assistance identifying and determining value of a few guns being offered my way.

First up, a sharps 1863, I don't know much about these and what to look for, so any guidance would be great. I didn't see many proof marks, but maybe I am not looking in the right spots.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h99t2e5w6ydpjjq/DSC00150.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uefsl8o9bsf7ymc/DSC00153.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1zp0evujagxrxo4/DSC00154.JPG?dl=0v
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5f6g002x16kwz0g/DSC00157.JPG?dl=0

Second up is an odd little smoothbore rifle, possibly from Belgium, not sure on calibre.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jeh875o49tlih4e/DSC00197.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwehwcvja2eowjp/DSC00198.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/drlpv9i1ronl2h1/DSC00201.JPG?dl=0v

Lastly, I am not sure of its antique status even, but a interesting sxs, with the only visible writing saying premier on the side. It's a little rough around the edges, but could be clean up depending on what it is.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4pbp4pldg3iwhom/DSC00204.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nerkk3o8fu8s9r2/DSC00205.JPG?dl=0

I am going to post this with the links, not sure if I need to do something else in order to make the pics show up in the thread.

Any advice would be awesome!
 
Last edited:
Nothing?! Is it because the pics are links? I tried adding the the end of the links, but only ended up with small black x'S. Dunno if do box is compatible, but I already had an account, so I figured I would try it. Any help at all guys?

Thanks in advance!
 
Can't really see much of the Sharps, but it would be worth a fair sum if in decent condition. In my limited experience, any Sharps in poor condition would fetch at least $1000. On up from there.
 
Your second gun brings the word Dumoulin to my mind. Might give you a better starting point for research. Could be .410 bore or maybe one of the flobert cartridges.
(smoothbore rifle is an oxymoron by the way) cou:
 
the first one appears to be an 1874 Sharps and its value would in part depend on the bore. With a good bore, it would not surprise me to see it bring $2000 even though it may have been reblued. The second gun is made in Belgium and has the classic Belgian proof marks. I am going out on a limb and say $250 for it if it is in a cartridge than can be purchased or reloaded. The last one I am guessing is Belgian, is not an antique and price around $200

cheers mooncoon
 
Hey Ryan,

I can take better pics if that would help? Those pics that were posted should have allowed for decent zoom in, as they were full res. Anything in particular to take a pic of? There only seems to be a couple of stamps on it, one is the patent one, and another saying the model. Bore looks to be in excellent shape with sharp, but slight rifling. I couldn't take a pic to save my life of the bore, not for lack of trying however!
 
Hey pinfire, which barrel marking exactly depicts that? Thanks for the info:)

Third picture on the second gun, it looks like "FL 9". I did a quick Google search on 9mm Flobert guns, and several looked similar to yours. Here's one that looks very similar:
http://littlegun.be/ma_collection/belgique/be pqrstuvwxyz/a be s l s gb.htm

For a source for deciphering Belgian markings, you could also try http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17575181.

Cheers,
Pinfire
 
The Sharps is a model 1874, as it is a center fire metallic cartridge rifle. The 1863 is percussion, using a paper cartridge, or loose powder, and a percussion cap.
 
Hey Mooncoon why an 1874 sharps? Is the model 1863, but you mean made in 1874? Sorry if this is a stupid question lol

I think about the only obvious difference may be the 1863 is percussion as Ryan said. I think the 1869 was only made in 44-77 I have an 1863, 1869 and an 1874 and the frames all look just about identical apart from the Lawrence pellet primer on the lock of the 1863. I would not call it a stupid question. I think that all of the cartridge Sharps rifles had case hardened receivers as opposed to blued ones. Also lest anyone think I am uncommonly wealthy, my guns are far from pristine condition and none are in completely original condition. I had to do a quick bit of editing; got my dates mixed up.
cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom