A little help here? Double percussion...

kodiakjack

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
WMU 90
Hi guys. I visited an old friend last night, and he’s come into possession of something I haven’t seen before. We’d like more info on it. Anyone that can point us in the right direction?

2qsEVgV.jpg


0Lcobnu.jpg


KHt1m8S.jpg


jO4cwUk.jpg


6xrBgv9.jpg


HOMnfag.jpg


ib7Ep8M.jpg


Ti5Sacj.jpg


RZdCotV.jpg


lJhZuxF.jpg


feKceGo.jpg


hoFdjXn.jpg
 
High quality double rifle. Name on the top rib "Gromman"? Can't make out the location. Gromman(?) in ????? Note that the first letter is engraved differently and is on the breech plugs, not the barrel. I suspect that the rifle was originally flintlock, and professionally remanufactured as percussion, with new breech plugs being fitted. Given the bore size, the little silver boar on the patchbox lid is appropriate.
 
It kind of looks like “grosman in gielsen” to my untrained eye. Would that likely be the maker, and where he was from? Where would one go to find more info on an item like this. My google-fu is apparently inadequate. And how would one assign a value?
 
First name is who made it, second is where.
It is a high quality gun, and has value, but I would be hesitant to put a $ on it.
The more I look at the photos, the more confident I am that it was originally flintlock, made late 18th, early 19th century. Rebuild to percussion maybe 1830s. Not just converted to percussion, but rebuilt by a gunmaker.
How are the bores?
 
First name is who made it, second is where.
It is a high quality gun, and has value, but I would be hesitant to put a $ on it.
The more I look at the photos, the more confident I am that it was originally flintlock, made late 18th, early 19th century. Rebuild to percussion maybe 1830s. Not just converted to percussion, but rebuilt by a gunmaker.
How are the bores?

I definitely see what you’re saying about the different first letter on the breach plugs and expect you’re correct. As for the bore, that one pic of the muzzle is the only thing I’ve got to go by. We were at a 4yo’s birthday party with a dozen screaming kids running around, and it was probably negligent enough as is to sneak away and grab those pics lol. The rifling in the first couple inches looked good, but no idea if the rest of the barrel follows suit.

Let me know if there’s anything I should ask him. I’ll be seeing him later this week.
 
A slender penlight can be dropped down the bores. This will allow the bores to be easily inspected.
It is a really nice gun. Your friend is fortunate to have acquired it.
 
Back
Top Bottom