A question about cylinders

budman

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Location
S.W Bantario
I was looking at 45acp SAA, if I was to use 45 S&W I need to
re time a new cylinder, could you not use the same cylinder?

I can see that the lengths are different, the dia. 45acp .452 and
neck .476,and the 45 S&W .454 and neck .477.

Is that much of a difference,would it not center the same as
the acp?:cool:
 
I was looking at 45acp SAA, if I was to use 45 S&W I need to
re time a new cylinder, could you not use the same cylinder?

I can see that the lengths are different, the dia. 45acp .452 and
neck .476,and the 45 S&W .454 and neck .477.

Is that much of a difference,would it not center the same as
the acp?:cool:

If by 45 S&W you meen 45 Schofield all you do is have the 45 ACP short chambers reamed to 45 S&W depth.
But once you do that you cant shoot 45 acp anymore as it will fall in the chamber to far.
You need to remember the 45 acp head space on there case mouth where the chambers throat edge starts. move that deeper inside the chamber and the ammo haveing no rim will sit in the chamber to far for the fireing pin to hit the primer.
Tho you can shoot 455 in the gun to once reamed to 45 S&W i would check the bore as alot of guns with newer barrels are .452 dia not .454.
 
If by 45 S&W you meen 45 Schofield all you do is have the 45 ACP short chambers reamed to 45 S&W depth.
But once you do that you cant shoot 45 acp anymore as it will fall in the chamber to far.
You need to remember the 45 acp head space on there case mouth where the chambers throat edge starts. move that deeper inside the chamber and the ammo haveing no rim will sit in the chamber to far for the fireing pin to hit the primer.
Tho you can shoot 455 in the gun to once reamed to 45 S&W i would check the bore as alot of guns with newer barrels are .452 dia not .454.

Ah,thanks. The picture is much clearer now, it might be best to have
two separate cylinders,I imagine the time will still remain the same
from what you are saying,just different lengths?:cool:

Thanks
 
Ah,thanks. The picture is much clearer now, it might be best to have
two separate cylinders,I imagine the time will still remain the same
from what you are saying,just different lengths?:cool:

Thanks

Yes thats right as long as the cylinders are the same Dia then you can have two and the gun will be duel caliber.
I like 45 S&W Schofield myself as i reload but alot of guys dont reload so 45 acp is more popular as guys can shoot the SWC Wolf ammo in theses guns.
 
Back
Top Bottom