A question about Flintlock lengths

Barnaby

Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I just had a quick question that I couldn't seem to find an answer to, or not one that wasn't hidden behind a smokescreen of choice words. How long must a Flintlock's length be to be classified antique, if it is a modern version anyways. Is it the standard 660mm? Just not to sure and thought this would be a reasonable place to ask. Thanks in advance - Barnaby
 
Overall length and barrel length affect whether a flinter is classed as "restricted" or "Non-restricted" but length has nothing to do with whether it is classed as "Antique" Check the stickies at the top of this forum...
 
I think the issue would be "is the gun designed to be shot with one hand or two?" Blunderbusses for example have pretty short barrels but are clearly two handed guns and therefore non restricted.
In practical terms, I think as long as the gun was conspicuously two handed and over about 18" barrel you should not have any problem. I can't see the point of have a two handed 10" barreled gun except for playing head games with the regulations.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for the input, I'm just trying to figure out what the Pedersoli Bounty pistol would be because it has a 16 3/8 inch long barrel, being designed to be shot at far distances. The whole thing in length is 21 1/4 inches so it is kinda big.
 
The Pedersoli Bounty pistol is restricted. It has nothing whatever to do with the barrel length. Antiques are made before 1898. Any BP handgun, of any lock type, made after then falls under the same rules as any handgun.
Flintlock rifles are considered to be antiques no matter when they were made.
"...designed to be shot at far distances..." No it wasn't.
 
as long as it was made to be shot with 2 hands and has a shoulder stock fixed

you could go about cutting a flintlock shotgun down as long as the stock is there its antique
 
Mkay thanks guys, I do appreciate all the input. I really think they need to loosen up some of the laws for the antiques though honestly. Are they thinking people will try to rob a bank with a flintlock or caplock handgun? Im sure the security or police would just sit there for the 30 seconds im reloading :p
 
Back
Top Bottom