A real conundrum - what to do with this original 1873 Winchester 44-40 rifle???

Claven2

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
417   0   2
Location
Onterrible
I've got a bit of a conundrum. I bought this nice 24.25" round barrelled 1873 rifle off the EE knowing virtually nothing about it with a few low-res pics for $1000 to have as a restoartion project. I was going to get it mechanically fixed up, re-case the receiver and lever, reline and rust blue the barrel, get new hi-vis CAS-type sights for it, restock it, etc. Basically make it look like a new Uberti.

The problem is, I'm now thinking it might be too nice to alter it. Definitely it's collectible as-is.

Here's the bad:
-the lever safety button is worn and would need to be replaced or welded up to be a hair longer. Right now it doesn't release reliably.
-The bore still had clearly defined riling but is pitted. It would probably shoot with cast bullets, but it's more pitted than I could live with in a regular shooter.
-some of the internals have the odd spot of rust pitting, but everything is serviceable and not too bad at all.
-The hammer/sear needs a little attention, sometimes the hammer isn't quite engaging the sear when the action is cycled. This is a fairly easy gunsmith fix I think.
-The serrations on the dust cover are peened - someone tried to tighten it up by squeezing it. Replacements are available online.
-The rear sight is not original and is missing the elevator. Replacements are available though.

The good:
-It's a nice brown patina original 24.25" rifle made in 1890.
-It's not been monkeyed with and most of the screw slots look good.
-The wood is really too nice to touch. It's crack-free and only has minor handling marks.
-The exterior metal condition is nice aside form the patina'd finish. All the original markings are nice and crisp.
-No discernable receiver stretch and the timing is really good.
-Early buttplate model with cleaning rod trap.

In other words, I've seen similar guns sell for $2000+ and with a replacement sight and maybe dust cover it would display nicely in any Winchester colection as-is.

I'm feeling perhaps too guilty to restore it - am I crazy? Should I just sell it to someone who appreciates it as-is and get a new Uberti?

Internals:
DSCN4300.jpg
 
I have an '86 in similar condition except someone replaced the wood (with a real nice set); and have the same conundrum as you. I can't bring myself to sell it and go back and forth on the repairs. (although I do shoot mine)

Sorry that isn't really helping ya out but..."I hear ya"

Good luck...
 
Unless you can do the work yourself, it's likely going to cost you what you'd pay for a new repro to have it restored.

There are any number of collectors out there who would be happy to take the rifle 'as is'. When I forgot my 44-40 '66 repro at home, I borrowed an original '73 from one of our guys who generously offered it. It looked like a beater and he cobbled it together from a couple of junkers. It shot like a Trooper with BP loads and I fell in love with it.
 
I'll post a bunch more pics so you guys can judge for yourselves - it's actually much nicer than 75%+ of the 73's I see for sale.
 
I would be inclined to clean it up, repair as necesary, sleeve the bore, and otherwise leave it as is.
I wouldn't refinish it. Just do what is necessary to make it into a nice shooter.
 
Claven2, unmessed with '73s are getting harder to find all the time. There's nothing wrong with a well-used '73. I've fixed up a couple '73's (the internals, that is). Parts are available. I don't think I would restore that rifle; it is just fine as is with only a few repairs. The sear is one of the first thing to wear on those old '73s and can easily be fixed. So can the safety lever inside. Completely take apart your action, including the hammer and the safety lever and clean them up. You will probably be able to see what to do, but if you don't, take a good photo or two and post them here. I'll see if I can help you out. A well-used '73 that hasn't been messed with is a beautiful thing to behold.
 
I've already detail stripped this one to clean it, when I got it the action was frozen with hardened grease that I suspect is 90+ year old animal fat. Also, at some point, muddy water got into the action and left a coat of brown mud on all the grease. None of the screws were frozen and mechanically it's pretty good inside AFTER cleaning. Don't worry - I've restored MANY antique guns while preserving original finish and I was careful in cleaning this one.

Before:

DSCN4295.jpg

DSCN4299.jpg

DSCN4297.jpg

DSCN4298.jpg


After:

DSCN4300.jpg

DSCN4301.jpg

DSCN4305.jpg

DSCN4306.jpg

DSCN4304.jpg

DSCN4303.jpg

DSCN4302.jpg

DSCN4312.jpg

DSCN4311.jpg

DSCN4313.jpg

DSCN4310.jpg

DSCN4309.jpg

DSCN4308.jpg

DSCN4307.jpg


I purposefully have not changed a thing apart from basic cleaning because I still have to decide what I'm going to do. I'm leaning towards selling it or trading it outright for an Uberti '73 rifle in .45 Colt. The project would be fun fixing this one up, but I would spend a ton of cash and end up with a rifle worth less than it is worth now! :(
 
Well, I posted it in the EE to see if someone wants it as a collectible. We'll see what happens. If it doesn't find a new home and put enough money in my pocket for a new Uberti, I'll re-line it and keep it until I decide to either restore it completely or enjoy it as-is.
 
That was one dirty '73! You did a nice job of cleaning it up. I'll have to check out your post on the exchange to see what you are selling it for. That is a nice looking '73. It has earned its keep back in the day for sure and has a lot of history and stories behind it. When you handle something like that, you can feel the history. I eventually got myself a real nice one made in 1889 and actually was out shooting it today. I really like those old '73s.
 
I only cleaned the mechanism. The exterior remains untouched :)

Hopefully I am not out to lunch trying to leverag this original into a new repro?
 
I think your price is good. The problems you mentioned are minor. The main thing is to take out the sear, build up the tip and then file back down to shape. An old gunsmith in Montreal who just passed away a year ago at the age of 94 once worked on a lot of '73s in his younger days. What I suggested to do with the sear was something that was a common place repair for the '73 back in his younger days. I had a 73 with a similar problem and it was solved with a re-built up sear and some diamond files to shape. Repairing the innards doesn't hurt the collector's value at all so far as I'm concerned, so long as the outside remains original.
 
Honestly I set the price as the cost of buying a new uberti after tax and ship. It may be high or low, but that is what I need to get out of the rifle and still end up with a useable rifle for CAS.
 
Well gents, the deal is done.
I traded my Uberti straight up for claven's original. After a bit of examination it looks like the cocking and safety button issues are all related. It looks like the lever is not correct and installing a proper one should fix everything. The first indication is that lever is about an 3/16" short and doesn't engage the locking clasp. It also doesn't sit squarely against the frame when closed, so it doesn't depress the safety button. When operating the lever, the mechanism cycle fine, but the bolt doesn't move quite far enough to fully #### the hammer, another 1/16" or less would probably do it. So I'm betting a new lever would cure everything. Anybody have an idea what this lever might be from?
Also, if I decide to sleeve the barrel, who would you recommend to do the work?

Thanks for any info,

Brian
 
Back
Top Bottom