A Sad Story involving an antique sixgun

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Got talking to an old fellow at church this morning. He overheard me talking to another fellow about antique sixguns. I'd say the fellow is nigh onto 75 years old. He told me that he had a S&W 44 Russian that had been in the family for a very long time. I asked him a few questions about it. It turns out that it was a S&W 1st Model Russian with an 8" barrel, also known as a S&W 2nd Model American 44 Russian commercial version, or an Old, Old Russian. It was finely engraved, nickel plated and in what sounded like about 90% condition. Now a 90% condition 1st Model Russian is worth a lot of money, and one that is finally engraved even more. I figure his gun was worth at least $8,000 if it was in the condition he said. Now for the sad part. He had no idea what is was worth and traded it to a fellow for a used chain saw!!:eek:
 
Well that is sad but at least it wasn't turned in for destruction or something horrible .Here is a pic of my first model Russian I would want more than One chain saw and mine is a re-nickle
hg440.jpg
 
Sad for one guy (but even he seemed happy with the exchange), but happy for another. At least it wasn't "cleaned" with a grinder, or turned into the cops.
 
Jesus, whoever ripped him off in that deal is a failure as a human being.

-M

I believe a good deal is when all parties walk away happy with the outcome.

I'd say it was a good deal and not a sad story at all if the gun is still out there somewhere and any one of us might get the opportunity to aquire it one day!
I'll see his chainsaw and raise him a riding mower! LOL
 
I remember a sharpy who wouldn't pay a widow the $30 for the rifle unless she threw in the couple of boxes of ammuntion for the rifle.
It was a Henry.
The jerk got his own back later, when he paid top dollar for what he thought was a Whitworth rifle in near new condition. Not only was it totally refinished, the barrel had been stretched.
 
I think I'll talk to the fellow and see if he remembers who the lucky fellow is. If he does, and he still has it, I'll see what he wants for it.
 
I think I'll talk to the fellow and see if he remembers who the lucky fellow is. If he does, and he still has it, I'll see what he wants for it.

Maby a leaf blower will seal the Deal LOL:D Or something else he needs.

Its posible the fellow who got it dont know what its worth either, but unlikely.
And the gun might not be in the mint condition it was said to be either.
If it was Registered the fellow might not even know its Antique.
Theres alot of Ifs here. unless you got more info??

I just bought a Stihl Chain saw cost me $750 but its a beauty of a saw and starts easy every time. :)
 
Last edited:
Hey Win if you need an electric hedge trimmer to cinch the deal I'll throw it in free. I hope you can find the guy and he hasn;t gotten an apraisel or gave it to his grandkids to play with. In any case good luck I hope you find it.
 
I"ll call your chainsaw and mower and toss in a weed eater!

But as was said, thank heaven at least it wasn't destroyed. As I was reading the story I was anticipating an ending where the barrel was chopped down, or it was turned in for trash. :(
 
Back
Top Bottom