Accessory Suppliers

Libra

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anyone know of any good suppliers in Canada for black powder cartridge accessories. I'm not worried about powder but things like lubes (such as SPG), drop tubes, dies, blow tubes etc.
 
Out of necessity, most black powder cartridge shooters are pretty self reliant.

Drop tubes and blow tubes are patched together from supplies found at the local hobby and hardware stores.
I make my own SPG type lube from a recipe I found on the internet.
All of my dies were ordered in from the States or occasionally purchased at gun shows.

Getting all the bits together can be a good part of the fun.
 
Last edited:
CH4-D is a great source for dies for just about any obsolete or obscure caliber you can imagine. They do ship direct.

As Boolitcaster states, most of us do build our own drop tubes, blow tubes (you can even use flexible plastic fuel line); and make our own lube.

Research, research, research.

It's a lot of fun - good luck & happy shootin'.
 
Thanks guys. It's just as I figured. Spent most of the morning making a drop tube and a couple of wooden loading blocks. My concern is with the lube. I'm looking for a 38-55 in a high wall and I see Star line has brass but the lube is the problem. Checked with a supplier in the US and for $75 worth or product they want $47 to ship and that's before the exchange rate. This will be my first BP gun and I've been doing a lot of reading. Most say that the lube is the critical component to keep the powder residue moist. I would like to get the lube right.
Thanks
 
Thanks guys. It's just as I figured. Spent most of the morning making a drop tube and a couple of wooden loading blocks. My concern is with the lube. I'm looking for a 38-55 in a high wall and I see Star line has brass but the lube is the problem. Checked with a supplier in the US and for $75 worth or product they want $47 to ship and that's before the exchange rate. This will be my first BP gun and I've been doing a lot of reading. Most say that the lube is the critical component to keep the powder residue moist. I would like to get the lube right.
Thanks

Tons of effective recipes out there, I'll tell you mine:

~50/50 Olive oil & beeswax. That's it (for me)

I stand all the bullets up in a pan

Then, double boil it until it becomes perfectly clear, and pour the mixture into the pan up to the highest lube groove.

Let it cool.

I usually use a case with the base cut off to cut them out of the cooled lube; but I hear sticking it in the freezer allows you to just poke them out after it freezes. Never tried that though.


I find this recipe works very well to keep the fouling soft. I have run up to 50 rounds through my SAA clone before I started having and substantial fouling and it seems to work well in cooler temps (below freezing) as well as warm temps (as warm as it gets here anyway)

Good luck!
 
Back
Top Bottom