Accuracy tips needed ... great plains flintlock.

If I am not mistaken, most T shirts are not 100% cotton and are mixed with synthetic material. Bad stuff for your bore as it can place burned deposits there which would be hard to remove. As other posters have said use tight weave pillow ticking. Thomas Jefferson made pillow ticking mandatory for the new US army. Other than that use only organic lube, Lard, sweet oil,(olive oil), bore butter etc. 50 gr of fffg is a good place to start, work up your charge and see your groups change. I would not go over 65gr for target shooting and 95 to 100gr for a hunting load.
 
If I am not mistaken, most T shirts are not 100% cotton and are mixed with synthetic material. Bad stuff for your bore as it can place burned deposits there which would be hard to remove. As other posters have said use tight weave pillow ticking. Thomas Jefferson made pillow ticking mandatory for the new US army. Other than that use only organic lube, Lard, sweet oil,(olive oil), bore butter etc. 50 gr of fffg is a good place to start, work up your charge and see your groups change. I would not go over 65gr for target shooting and 95 to 100gr for a hunting load.

Plenty are 100% cotton, always read the label. Cheaper ones, sure. I have a lot of golf T-shirts that have tight weave, 100% cotton and mic out just perfectly. They work great.

It's like beating a dead horse and YMMV, but read, look, mic. I just hate paying for patch material when there's a pile of rags in the basement.
 
Dutch Schultz recommends using water soluble cutting oil, mixed with water (50/50) for lube. Soak the cotton patches in the solution, then let them dry. The water evaporates, leaving a consistent, gently lubed patch. Between that, and getting some proper fitting patch material, I tightened up my groups with Lyman Great Plains .50, dramatically. Get Dutch's book!!
 
Back
Top Bottom