adjustable flask question

emmab

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Location
Vancouver B.C.
Hello, well I've almost reached the day that I will be firing my .36 cal italian Navy(had it for 6 yrs now and stll haven't shot it... silly I know!) I ended up with an adjustable brass flask(looks nice) with a screw type limiter that moves a disk and changes the volume of the spout when adjusted. The spout looks fairly big and may be for a rifle. Long story short, not having a scale on hand, is there a standard size.. like a spent case in the hand gun family that will produce 15 to 20 grains of volume of fffg? I will alter the spout I have til I reach the magic number or hang it up and get a modern style one if I can find one. Thanks in advance ....FNG
 
Get an adjustable powder measure and move the screw in your flask accordingly. No need to use a scale as black powder is measured by volume. Remember to seal the top of the round balls with crisco or some type of bp lube to prevent the gun from chain firing.

Cheers. Steve.
 
I use a .45 ACP case which I have bent to form a spout, I find this will hold 25 grains of black powder when filled heaping.
For .36 cal 1851 Navy I use 15 grains (volume) which is 60% of a full .45 ACP case.
I use a heaping full .45 ACP case for my .44 Pietta "Yank". Loud and powerful...:D
I use corn meal to fill the cylinder above the powder and leave room for the ball to seat in. Using corn meal to fill the chamber means I don't have to use as much vegetable shortening to seal the chambers against chain-fires.
Also make sure the caps don't fall off as this is also a cause of chain-fires.
 
Thanks for all the info, thats what I was looking for. At least now I can determine what my flask throws for a charge! I will end up getting the right unit once I can find it. Pretty poor availability for black powder stuff from what I've seen, but I'm just getting started. Much thanks for the quick answers. Cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom