Go get yourself a Lyman Hawken Great Plains flintlock kit from Track of the Wolf. They will cost about 500 bucks or so. The kit is basically a sand and finish project as the stock has been fully relieved for the lock, trigger group and all the hardware. I have one in 54 caliber and I love it. They are very accurate and are a bargain for what U get. They are from the period of about the time that the mountain men started hunting fir trade in the early 18 hundreds. The first Hawken rifles were flintlock I believe and were full stocked. Later the Hawken rifles were half stock rifles in cap lock around 1830. They sold their business and the new owners continued to make them. The mountain men found out that the little 40 and 35 caliber rifles did not pack enough punch for the big critters that lived out on the plains and found that the 50 caliber and up was more in keeping with what was needed to survive. Watch the movie Jeremiah Johnson for some more history.
Are U sure U can skin grizz Pilgrim?