After market barrel for the colt 1892 in 41 long colt. update on post #12

starpuss

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.6%
146   2   0
update on post #12 i got one.


Ok. I was talking to my gun smith and he tells me he can make up some barrels for the colt 1892.

He tells me this is what he would use as a blank.

Green Mountain 1:14 Left hand twist. It has a bore of .395 and a groove of .401 4140 alloy steel gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=PR40

He told me he would charge $125-175 each and can make them 2”-10” each. He will put a blade site on it. Or for more $$ he can do what you want.

But he told me that he would have to make 5+ of them to make it worth his time.


Do you think I should get him to make up some? Would you want one if I got him to make some? they would be sold at cost.
 
Last edited:
I guess fitting them might be abit of a job eh for just anyone... the Barrel to cylinder gap must be right with the site blade in the correct 12 oclock place.
As you screw on the barrel the site blade could end up at 3 oclock when its up tight to the frame so unless you are "wearing your pants on the ground":p thats not gona help you much is it.
 
Depending on how you interpret the regulations, a new short barrel on its own could be a prohibited device untill it is installed on the gun.
 
Depending on how you interpret the regulations, a new short barrel on its own could be a prohibited device untill it is installed on the gun.

There for a antique gun, and he is in Canada.


Do you think I should get him to stamp something on them?

I am going to send him a barrel and a frame so he can make them up. Maybe I should get them with out the site blade

how hard out it be to ad a site blade after? Can they be sliver soldered on?

ill talk to him and see what he would charge to install them.
 
There for a antique gun, and he is in Canada.


Do you think I should get him to stamp something on them?

I am going to send him a barrel and a frame so he can make them up. Maybe I should get them with out the site blade

how hard out it be to ad a site blade after? Can they be sliver soldered on?

ill talk to him and see what he would charge to install them.

Thats the way to go he can install a new barrel and set it up perfect.

I thought you were just gona get a bunch of barrels and sell them to people.

Nothing ilegal about putting in a new barrel in a antique gun.
But its gota be done right is all im saying.
 
Nothing ilegal about putting in a new barrel in a antique gun.

If it's under 106mm it would be wouldn't it? Or does it depend on what gun it is designed for? Something like this would be pretty cool. :D

1scor8.jpg
 
I already had this out with customs and there is no restrictions on barrel length on an antique. You can make it as short as you want as long as it's not in the list of banned cartridges for antiques.
 
Why not make your replacement barrel.357?
Dimensionally 41 longColt and 38 special are the same look at any loading manual.
41 long colt cylinder accommodates 38s
putting a 38 caliber barrel on it would not affect its status as antique cause its chambered for 41 long colt
It would be easier to source ammo for and much easier to reload for, no baloon head brass
 
How do you get banned in 3 days and 3 posts????


Maybe I should get them with out the site blade

Yes get them without the sites. Also do not pay much for them as unfitted barrels, they are not worth much if anything really. If he installs it and all is perfect whip out the wallet and happily pay him a machinist's wage.

There are basically three cuts that need to be made to make the barrel fit and to make the sight index properly. Inbetween these cuts is lots of set up and measuring.

To make an 1892 barrel he just needs to thread a hunk of barrel to match the threads in the frame and form a crown. What I am saying, none to clearly, is that making the barrels is maybe 20% of the work of fitting of them.

There are lots of guys on this board who could turn out revolver barrels by the bucketfull a day but finding someone to fit one between breakfast and lunch would be tough.
 
Why not make your replacement barrel.357?
Dimensionally 41 longColt and 38 special are the same look at any loading manual.
41 long colt cylinder accommodates 38s
putting a 38 caliber barrel on it would not affect its status as antique cause its chambered for 41 long colt
It would be easier to source ammo for and much easier to reload for, no baloon head brass

They are close but not the same. You can fit a .38spl case into a .41 Colt case. New .41 Colt brass is made by Starline and sold by Mysticplayer on this site. Cast your own bullets, I prefer the Rapine hollow base. I've made over 1000 rounds of .41 Colt.

I do use a Lee .38spl shellplate for loading, but the upper portion needs to be dremeled to fit the .41 Colt.
 
Back
Top Bottom