Age of Ammo?

3rabee

New member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Alberta
I have a Mosin Nagant rifle and I was looking to get some ammunition for it and I find that the vast majority of ammo for sale (7.62x54r) is surplus ammo and I was wondering if purchasing ammo made in the 70's and 80's will still work the same as ammo made more recently and if it is still safe as well?

Thanks
 
Depends primarily on how it's been stored. It it's been stored in cool, dry conditions, it should still be fine. If on the other hand it's been stored in hot conditions, maybe not.
 
I have a Mosin Nagant rifle and I was looking to get some ammunition for it and I find that the vast majority of ammo for sale (7.62x54r) is surplus ammo and I was wondering if purchasing ammo made in the 70's and 80's will still work the same as ammo made more recently and if it is still safe as well?

Thanks

You can get softpoints for it, but it will cost you dearly;)
The ammo i have is 1975 ...works good for me:D
Also the ammo for my sks some 1972 not as good as the 82 i had seems to kick one out the top instead of chambering it(would be a huge deal if i was fighting a war) but im not:) also have no doubt its just due to manufacture as the ammo is nice and clean and was sealed very nicely
 
I think trade ex's surplus is from the 50s right now. I know I've shot rounds older than me, then again I'm not that old, but it's kind of funny that it happens.
 
I believe there is still some WWII 9mil ammo floating around. A lot of guys still use WWII 303 ammo. If it's stored properly, you'll be great. I heard that they found some 7.62 X39 in one of the pyramids in Egypt, over 4,000 years old, and it worked fine!






Before someone jumps on me, just kidding about the Egyptian ammo. It was 8mm Hakim ammo.:D
 
I've shot British manufactured 303 dated 1921 that worked just fine and 303 that hangfires something terrible (GB 50) Click - wait - bang. Only good thing about the GB stuff is that it came in stripper clips.
To me ammo from the 1970's is brand new. Shoot it and enjoy.
 
Back
Top Bottom