Aguila Minishell slugs

Londonshooter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Location
SW Ontario
A seller on the EE is advocating these as safe in black powder shotguns. He's done it so should be okay, right? Anyone seen a reference as to chamber pressures? I have not and am not jumping to conclusions other than to say I'm not going to shoot one without seeing published data. It would be great to find out that indeed they are low pressure.

Here's a caution though from the manufacturer:
All Types of MinishellS are loaded to SAAMI specs according to 12ga shotshells of regular size, namely 2-3/4″ or 3″ in length. This means that regular shells and MinishellS generate the same pressure in the chamber of 12ga shotguns.MinishellS should NEVER be used in signal/flare guns or any other firearm other than 12ga caliber SAAMI approved shotguns. Failure to comply with this may result in injury or death to the user or others.

SAAMI specs would permit average max pressure of 11500 psi, i.e. nearly double what these guns were proofed at when in original condition > 100 years ago. Likewise I would question an internet opinion that 12 ga. target shells "should be okay". Most are pushing chamber walls with 11500 psi.
 
The SAAMI pressures are far too high for any gun with only black powder proofs. I would not shoot them in my old guns and I'm sure that the manufacturer would deny any responsibility in the event that somene blows up a gun or gets injured. I know common sense doesn't seem to be common any more but give your head a shake ( what's that rattling sound?), why risk a fine old gun, your fingers or your face. To advertise or promote this ammunition as being safe to use in black powder only proofed guns is misleading and dangerous and could easily put the advertiser on the wrong side of criminal charges or a lawsuit in the event of an accident. Stupid.
 
To be clear, he's not trying to sell slugs but rather two BP shotguns.
Be diligent in safely feeding your old-timers. Sherman Bell went to 30K psi but he didn't have his face on the stock or his grandson standing next to him.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom