Air Travel with Antique Revolver

Twoshoes

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I need to find out what I have to do to travel by air with an antique revolver. Any ideas as to where I could find this information? Thanks.
 
I don't think there is any doubt that the airlines idea of a firearm or weapon will be vastly different from our Federal firearms "antique" regulations. The Criminal Code of Canada definition goes something like...."any barreled weapon designed or intended to discharge a projectile capeable of causing death or bodily harm"...... I expect you will hit a major roadblock. Just a guess using common sense. It will be interesting to see what the resident experts advise!
 
I think that it would be safe to assume that whoever you encounter during check-in and whoever x-rays your luggage will not have the slightest knowledge of the difference between a restricted firearm and an antique.
It would be a good idea to have a FRT printout, RCMP letter relating to deregistration or antique status on hand, etc. along with your personal licence. Technically none of this should be necessary, but in the absence of paper, do you think that your word is going to be sufficient? Get into a debate, and you could miss your flight.
I have flown through major airports with restricted firearms with proper documentation without incident.
The only time I ever flew with antique handguns, I checked in at an airport where I was known to the staff, and where luggage was not x-rayed. It was a non-event.
 
I've travelled out west a number of times to visit my parents, and generally have an antique revolver in my luggage. In a hard, locked case, with a trigger lock as well (cause the x-ray can't tell if it's restricted or antique). They want the ammo in it's "original container", so do with that what you will, and I always have all the paperwork in order, just in case. I've never been asked for any of it. They tag the suitcase, x-ray it, and that's about it. I generally fly out of Hamilton airport (avoid Pearson like the plague) with Westjet. they are about the most Gun friendly airline in Canada. Nobody bliinks, and most of the clerks that I've talked to hunt or shoot or have a relative that does. Thus far it's been completely efffortless. Cheers
 
Times have sure changed!

Only time I ever flew with a firearm was many years ago, Winnipeg to Vancouver. I had a Luger and 128 rounds and a French St. Etienne "Le Municipal: with 12 rounds in my carry-on. Also had an RCMP Permit to Transport, needless to say. I offered my bag to the stew so she could put it in the crew cabin, but she said 'no problem; you can carry it' and that was the end of that. The fact that I worked for the airline at the time might have reassured her a bit, but, I don't think THAT much.

And I didn't even have the old 8 fly us to Cuba!

If I were doing it again, antique or no, I would have every permit in the WORLD handy and it would be in my checked lugggage, in pieces and with one critical part in my pocket.

tiriaq, of course, is right.
 
Back
Top Bottom