AK-47 ammo question

JIMJ

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Manitoba
My buddy and I cannot agree on what size the ammo is for this firearm. i am having a brain stall.
7.62 x 39
7.62 x 51
7.62 x 54?
anyone have any ideas
 
The AK 47 was designed around 7.62x39.
Newer versions like the AK 74, et al, are sometimes chambered for different rounds, but the 7.62x39 dominates AK-dom as it were.
 
Thanks guys he was right I thought 54 as I am sure 51 is a .308

The way I always remember is to think about the other names and associations.

7.62 x 54 - "762 Russian", old-school - think Mosin Nagant
7.62 x 39 - "762 Soviet", A to the mother F-in' K, homeboy
7.62 x 51 - "762 NATO", America and apple pie, SWAT snipers with remington 700s, mini-guns door mounted on helicopters... yeah, sweet.

You get the idea
 
"...7.62 Soviet..." You'll see the 7.62 x 39 refered to as '7.62 Russian' too. The 7.62 x 54 usually has an 'R' indicating the rim. Not hard to tell the difference.
 
Back
Top Bottom