All .17HMR The Same?

Joe549

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
I read somewhere, I think here on CGN, that all .17HMR ammo is produced by Hornady and the only difference is the bullet weights and colour of the polymer tip? Is this true? And is there a link someone can direct me to?
 
Pilfered from the net:
http:// snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2783743


CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

Linda Olin
CCI/Speer Technical Services
2299 Snake River Ave.
Lewiston, ID 83501


My understanding is that S&B now makes 17HMR ammo, but I haven't seen it yet. I only use Hornady 17gr Vmax, it shoots well and I never bothered trying another.
 
CCI, Federal, Winchester, Remington and Hornady all loaded here at CCI in Lewiston, Idaho with a V-max bullet are identical, with the exception of tip color. Manufactured on the same equip, to the same ballistic specs, using the same components other than color of the tip of the bullets. Obviously the shellcase 'head stamp' and packaging would be different on the various products.

I would like to see her explain why the Winchester v-max loads weigh about 2.7grains more than the other v-max loads,obviously something is different. The Winchester loads are also more accurate in my rifle.
 
Back when I shot 17 HMR a couple years ago, Remington advertised their speed almost 300 fps slower then the Hornady (1900 vs 2200).

I sold it so that may of changed now.
 
IIRC the only difference between brands is type and amount of powder used.

As Stubblejumper noted weight difference between brands.
 
I found the winchester stuff has about 1.5-2 thou thicker rim than all the rest. I found this out when I replaced the barrel and was setting up my headspace on my cz 452. It really likes the Hornady 17gr stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom