All plastic 12ga round ?

RobSmith

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Rigaud, Quebec
Fairly recently somebody showed me some 12ga shells that he had kicking around that were of a type I had never seen before.

The thing was loaded with lead birdshot, the shell was all plastic (except for the brass primer), and was sort of a purple color.

Anybody have any idea what that stuff might have been ?
 
it could be an activ, loaded in the 80's. They were loaded with everything from target loads to slugs. They actually have a steel ring in the base but still sorta cool. Have heard they were a good reloading shell as well.
 
x2...


Actually a relative found acouple boxes of those last year and gave em to me... not properly stored, lots of hang fires and FTF.... also very dirty but they may have been better shells 30 years ago.
 
Like I said, they weren't mine so I couldn't rake an exacto to one and see what makes them tick ... Just purple color plastic and either black or golden color writing ... It's been awhile ...

Just one of those moments that keeps bothering you ...
 
Interesting idea and design. They probably were put out of business by the top ammo makers of "conventional" design. Had they been more successful in the business of ammo production and not so much competition, I could see that be the hull of today.
I use to work in plastic injection molding, the volume that can be produced of this type of molding today, especially with now china quite dominate in the field, is somewhat alarming. With much less steel or brass required, the ring was a simple stamping and as for a manufacturing point of view, using robots and high speed production machines, this could have been one of the only types of hulls available now. I dont know if that is a good or bad thing, who knows what could have happened.
 
If they were the Activ brand they were excellent ammo. Very slick feeding and extraction. I still have a few. They reloades very well and stood up to many reloads before cracking at the crimp lines. There was also another brand before them I believe their name was Wanda brand. All the activ brand I have or saw were red in color for 12 ga.
 
All the Activ I ran across in 12ga. were red in colour as well ... yellow in 20ga. Still have some.

Kent Cartridge purchased the Activ plant & machinery and is now their US manufacturing base.
 
anything like this?

34rj60i.jpg
 
If they were the Activ brand they were excellent ammo. Very slick feeding and extraction. I still have a few. They reloades very well and stood up to many reloads before cracking at the crimp lines. There was also another brand before them I believe their name was Wanda brand. All the activ brand I have or saw were red in color for 12 ga.

They were one of the best for reloaders. I still use the 3" in all my high speed 12ga steel loads. Getting down there however only a few new bags left.
Keep forgeting they have not been made for 30 years. Some of us old guys have loading rooms that probally should be museums.Still have a few bags of the yellow 20ga somewhere also
000_0659.jpg
 
In my cartridge collection I have a 12 ga that is made from clear plastic. You can see the powder in it.
 
Interesting idea and design. They probably were put out of business by the top ammo makers of "conventional" design. Had they been more successful in the business of ammo production and not so much competition, I could see that be the hull of today.

Actually they were bought out by a competitor, and shut down. Initially thier quailty was exceedingly high, especially thier slugs, which were pressed, then later for cost savings they went to sand cast etc, and began cutting costs, but the ammo was still great.
 
Back
Top Bottom