American Bulldog in .44

LomondK

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
Edmonton Ab.
What do you guys think would I buy the .44 webley brass or the .44 bulldog brass from these guys
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,373.html

and what can I do for reloading components, I have a Lee press. I can't find a .44 webley or bulldog die set, would a .44 spl or .44 russian set work?

anybody with experience with either of these .44 cals please help I'm still really new to reloading.
208jmm1.jpg


Just bought it on Gunbroker this afternoon!
 
You'd have to double check, but I believe at least one forum member just used 429 bullets and cut down 44 mag brass. If you can find case dimensions for the 44 bulldog you should be able to compare them against the common brass and find one that can be blown out to fit.
 
From teh Buffalo Arms website ..

"Due to federal regulations we cannot ship rifle and pistol brass outside of the U.S. "

Good luck finding unusual brass in Canada.

I have a standing order with a Canadian retailer: about a week after I placed the order, I got an email stating that they had no idea when the stuff would actually be available.:rolleyes:
 
No brass outta the States for some time now...
bullets are .440 170gr use 3.5gr bullseye
Make brass from .45 auto rimmed.
turn rim to .503" diameter and thin to .048"
trim to length. F/L size
 
I used cut down .44 mag brass, thinned the rim from the the inside and put some .429 through it. worked O.K. but not that accurate.

was using .431's in .44 russian for my other bulldog, they were fairly accurate.
 
Could also be 44 American (S&W). In which case you'd use 41 S&W mag., thin the neck to .05 and trim to .88 long.
Use a 200 gr. cast bullet sized to .434
.88 may still be a bit long, and perhaps a 200 gr. bullet would have to be seated deeper than normal, or the case shortened another tenth or so.
 
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to see what I can do about meeting up with somebody that has the capabilities to thin the rims on brass, its a little beyond my technological abilities at the moment.
 
Thanks for the info guys. I'll have to see what I can do about meeting up with somebody that has the capabilities to thin the rims on brass, its a little beyond my technological abilities at the moment.

If 44 Sp./44Mag. brass will work so will 44 Russian, and if they're too long it's a heck of a lot easier to trim length than to thin rims.
44 Russian brass is readily available at low cost too. 44 Russian brass rims are the right thickness from the factory.
 
^ my starline .44R brass has a thicker rim than my .44 mag brass.

So while the .44R brass will work fine in an Iver johnson .44 bulldog, the H&R's have less space between the cylinder face and the frame so any conventional .44 case must have the rims thinned first.

I like the H&R's more though, they dont have nearly as wide cylinder to barrel gap as the iver johnsons.
The H&R's are just tighter better bulldogs in my opinion.
 
It got here today!!! and the buyer supplied a couple of new Starline .44 russian brass for me to play with. I shortened the brass to 11/16 of an inch and it fit and cycled no problem. Needless to say I'm excited, now I just need to find some .44 brass and get to work :)
 
I work down near the border, my co-worker goes down to a small US town and pick's up thousands of dollars of E-bay stereo equiptment. Drives down and gets it. Processes it at the border too.
I guessing here...but I'd imagine that a box of unprimed brass probably wouldn't send Home security into a tizzy.
But my situation is unique in that I work close to the border.
If you had a relative or friend near the 49th you would most likely be able work something out.
 
Back
Top Bottom