Ammo on Plane?

quackquackbang

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
So heres the deal!! Im flying to Newfoundland with Air Canada in the next couple week and am wondering if it will be fine if i put my ammo in a MTM shell case in my checked luggage as i dont have the original boxes it came in! I am not taking a rifle on the plane just ammo!!!! it gives example on there web site saying u can bring it in a wooden box or tin or in its orginally box etc, just curious if the MTM case will be fine?

Thanks
 
ammo on plane

If they x-ray your luggage, they will investigate. I believe that a requirement is that a large amount of ammo has to be in a lockable container that cannot be broken into easily. It probably would depend on the amount of ammo being transported. a box of 50 would be ok in the luggage but they will examine to see if it is packed safely, each cartridge wrapped so it cannot rattle and in center of your clothing so it cannot get jarred etc. Check with the airline....would not want you to miss your flight.
 
Last edited:
I travelled with air canada and had 5 kg of ammunition in my suitcase.I think that was the limit.It doesnt have to be lockable,mtm box should be fine.Make sure you tell them when checking in that you have ammo,they put stickers on the suitcases that says ammunition.Check with airline what you are allowed,things might have changed since I travelled.
 
http://www.aircanada.jp/en/checked-huntequip.htm?cLoc=tn


Ammunition is only accepted in checked baggage and must be packaged separately from the firearm. Ammunition allowance is limited to 5 kg (11 LB) per passenger. Only shells or cartridges are acceptable types of ammunition. Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.

Ammunition must be packed securely in a strong container of wood, metal or fiberboard, plainly marked "ammunition," or in the original inner carton. To avoid shock movement, the carton must be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.
 
IIRC, you need to declare a firearm and/or ammo at check in and sign off on the declaration form that the ammo has been packed correctly. They may want to verify it.
 
So heres the deal!! Im flying to Newfoundland with Air Canada in the next couple week and am wondering if it will be fine if i put my ammo in a MTM shell case in my checked luggage as i dont have the original boxes it came in! I am not taking a rifle on the plane just ammo!!!! it gives example on there web site saying u can bring it in a wooden box or tin or in its orginally box etc, just curious if the MTM case will be fine?

Thanks

Well there is your first mistake:D
 
Go Westjet!
Had a friend who bought a rifle in Calgary while on business.
He was going to just buy a hard case and check it. AC wanted 50 dollars to ship it home to the Peg because it is a firearm it is subject to a 50 surcharge. So he left the rifle at Proline.
He was comming out again in a few weeks this time on Westjet. He asked about bringing the rifle home on this flight. The lady at Westjet told him to check the rifle case as baggage and it would be free. Hows that for service.

AC's biggest problem is they still act like thay are a crown corp not a private enterprise.

I tried finding the actual air regulation, but I can't seem to find it. The regs as I remember them state that ammunition needs to be in the manufactures orginal packaging and no more than 11 boxes could be carried. But individual carriers can form their own policy as long as they dont exceed the amounts specified in the regulation. So ac's weight limit has to be respected.
 
Last edited:
I flew Air Canada from Ottawa to Newfoundland for Caribou hunt and they were no problem at all.

When I called to enquire I was told best way is in the original boxes, which I did not have, so I put my 7X57 hand loads in Federal 30-06 boxes..... and as I suspected no one even wanted to see the ammo.
They labeled my suitcase and that was that.

No problem at all.
 
I flew Air Canada from Ottawa to Newfoundland for Caribou hunt and they were no problem at all.

When I called to enquire I was told best way is in the original boxes, which I did not have, so I put my 7X57 hand loads in Federal 30-06 boxes..... and as I suspected no one even wanted to see the ammo.
They labeled my suitcase and that was that.

No problem at all.

hey thanks for the info!!! i dont have the orginal boxes either but i was talkin to my buddie and he said his old man flew with air canada to and used the MTM ammo box and never had a problem either! thanks again!
 
So heres the deal!! Im flying to Newfoundland with Air Canada in the next couple week and am wondering if it will be fine if i put my ammo in a MTM shell case in my checked luggage as i dont have the original boxes it came in! I am not taking a rifle on the plane just ammo!!!! it gives example on there web site saying u can bring it in a wooden box or tin or in its orginally box etc, just curious if the MTM case will be fine?

Thanks

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/security.html
Security Requirements & Dangerous Goods

Ammunition

* Ammunition is only accepted in checked baggage and must be packaged separately from the firearm.
* Ammunition allowance is limited to 5 kg (11 LB) per passenger.
* Only shells or cartridges are acceptable types of ammunition.
* Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.
* Ammunition must be packed securely in a strong container of wood, metal or fiberboard, plainly marked 'ammunition', or in the original inner carton.
* To avoid shock movement, the carton must be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.


http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/security.html
 
Back
Top Bottom