ammo pics.

I think you guys need some challenge; so what are the following cartridges? I will give the answer in a day or two unless someone guesses correctly first. The first cartridge dates from the mid 1860s and there is a slug inside the square end. The second cartridge is head stamped Eley 12 guage and is not truly an antique but is obsolete and dates from the 1950s to 1960s. They are obsolete now as far as I know

cheers mooncoon

Cartridge2b.jpg


Cartridge1b.jpg
 
That first one looks like a nipple fire? Don't remember much more than that, but it was developed to get around a patent infringement for a little basic looking revolver? I remember reading about this... darn.

Second one.... FRBC Nanaimo stands for Forest Renewal British Columbia? If it's a wooden spike then I'd say it's for killing vampires.... what's the wooden looking thing made out of?
 
the shortcoming was that you usually did not find them until the try pots were being cleaned out and they could have come from any one of several or many whales. Probably about the only thing they told was how long the whale lived after being tagged and before being harpooned. Whaling ended in BC in 1960 or 61 as I recall and the tags were not used after that. There were two Discovery ships on polar expeditions; one starting in 1874 in the arctic and the other in 1901 to the antarctic so I guess the earliest of those tags come close to qualifying for antiques.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom