An antique C-96 Mauser Broomhandle - what's better?

loki_81

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
268   0   0
Location
Northern BC
Two antique C-96 Broomhandle. Two are always better than one :cool: ;).

_MG_4905.jpg


_MG_4907.jpg


_MG_4912.jpg


_MG_4889.jpg


_MG_4902.jpg


_MG_4899.jpg


One is in near new condition inside and out, also seems to be a custom order with more of a swept grip strap and period made custom grips. The grips are serialized to the gun so leads me to believe that it's entirely a custom job at the factory for a custom order. Points and handles like a dream actually and IMO they should have made the entire line like this. This is Mausers experimental stage and they were much more willing to fill custom orders at this time to keep sales up. This is in such near mint condition it's like I walked into the store in 1897 and picked it out myself.

The other is in great condition, perfect bore and internals, and has seen it's share of use and shows it externally with a bit of wear on the finish. This beauty has likely seen some wartime use.

Both original mint bores chambered in 7.63 Mauser.

Antiques are so much fun to play 'detective' with and figuring out the history is part of the excitement :D.
 
Very nice i like the one with the orignal finish and normal grips better myself it still has the factory lines where they milled out the side pannels in the receiver the other one is polished smooth in them areas.
Very nice looking guns.
 
Last edited:
Fabulous. I hand the oppertunity to shoot one, when I was 16 years of age. Just a little too long ago, for my likeing. Are you married? I'm divorced.
 
Damn! So sweet!!

How's that 7.63 for reloading?

Some day, some day......

Components were tricky to find to start with, but Henry at Budget Shooter Supply will special order anything you ca legally bring across the border, and in record time as well ;). I got him to bring in some PRVI factory 7.63 as well.

Thanks everyone for the kind replies :).

Once you get into the C-96 world you'd be suprised at how many variations and different collectibles there are just inside of the Conehammer range itself even. A guy can spend a fortune if desired in all of the antique and modern variation.
 
Fabulous. I hand the oppertunity to shoot one, when I was 16 years of age. Just a little too long ago, for my likeing. Are you married? I'm divorced.

Oh EME you flatter me :redface:. Is that a CGN proposal ;)?

Yes I'm married, but if you're ever in the area you've got an invitation to shoot one of these again :). It's a gun so nice you just gotta shoot it twice :cool:.
 
I hate you! still looking for a follower for my old tired one...

I can maby point you in the right direction to get one.
let me know via PM what you meen by follower ?Is that just that part in the Mag well that moves up and down ?
Im not sure but i think one from a newer gun would work.
 
Forgive me for asking but whats the price point on one of those beautiful pieces of history?

There getting so hard to find they can run 5K and up in the USA where there very popular.
$6000 to $9000 up here for a good one its very hard to get the RCMP to letter them as antique to as theres alot of conflicting info on there manufacture dates or so the rcmp say.
Mine has a rcmp antique Letter or i wouldnt have it, thats one gun its a good idea to have the antique letter with.
My Roy Jinks lettered orignal mint bored US marked S&W schofield is the only gun i have thats worth more than a C96 mauser.
 
There getting so hard to find they can run 5K and up in the USA where there very popular.
$6000 to $9000 up here for a good one its very hard to get the RCMP to letter them as antique to as theres alot of conflicting info on there manufacture dates or so the rcmp say.
Mine has a rcmp antique Letter or i wouldnt have it, thats one gun its a good idea to have the antique letter with.
My Roy Jinks lettered orignal mint bored US marked S&W schofield is the only gun i have thats worth more than a C96 mauser.

Now not that I want to get into the RCMP antique letter debate in this thread (it really deserves it's own thread should we want to debate it), and I agree having one on a C-96 is a good plan. However with any antique being able to prove the manufacture date with hard evidence is better than any RCMP letter any day. Factory letters, historian letters, FRT's, hard copy books and if you can get them distributor and factory ledgers are all well more worth it if ever required to prove antiquity. I would never solely rely on a RCMP letter to stand up in court, they're worded so as to not be worth the paper they're written on. The best they might do is alleviate some concern of a curious LEO or CO, which may or may not stop confiscation.

As for value and your Schofield being worth more than a given C-96, well that also depends on what variation of C-96 .vs. that Schofield you're talking about ;). I have to agree with a $6000 to $9000 value for a "generic" Conehammer (wow I just used the word generic in the same sentence as a Conehammer, BRB while I go wash my mouth out :eek:), other variation of C-96 can even make a Borchardt look affordable :D. Never forget that Mauser was in development stages during the early years, and in the Conehammer range you can find some very interesting variation making some incredibly rare and very much command top dollar.
 
Last edited:
5K and up in the USA where there very popular.

Yet another thing I forgot to mention is that C-96 get around a big thing for a US citizen; SBR rules.

As antiques you can connect the shoulder stock and create a "Short Barreled Rifle" (terms that can even apply to a Glock in a carbine kit with a stock on it, I'm not actually calling this a rifle) with no need for registration, tax stamps, Fed approval and the headaches some Americans stay away from with the rules surrounding SBR's.

This realization is driving prices ever upward and making them very hard to find. In fact if the latest trends continue in the US you could very well see US prices higher than Canadian, right now they're pretty well on par in a lot of cases.
 
Loki: Those are beautiful and not just because they are "antiques" (which I really feel is is at times highly over rated") No criticism of anyone's antique , using me as an example one of my antiques is the 1887 Husky I recently acquired. made 1897 -- value in some circles $1500.00 + :yingyang: same identical made 1899 value - $400.00 :confused: Anyways those old broom handles were so far advanced , it is almost unbelievable to think that two adversary's could have met back then and one be armed with a semi auto, possibly 20 round ext. , stripper clip fed mag capacity :ar15: and the other with a shoot six and fiddle and poke Husqvarna. :) muzzle energy on the Husky about a 1/4 of the Broom Handle :confused: Like EME diva I too have shot a Broom Handle , my Dad had one way back-- long gone-- I was young then-- what fun.
Oh EME! don't even think it-- I am married , and older than dirt and only have an old Husky which is something like a small zucchini. :redface: Anyways I always yap too much-- Loki they are very very nice. Cheers
 
The main thing i wanted the rcmp letter for is "Customs" you dont want a seizure and customs still accepts the RCMP letter as proof of antique status thats number one!
The books on mausers are to conflicting.
You show me manufacture records that state when they were manufactured and i will agree they would be your best bet as proof.
But they dont exist from what i have seen.
i think in this one firearms case that to have a Rcmp letter is a very good idea and thats what i advise anyone who asks me about these guns.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom