An antique C-96 Mauser Broomhandle - what's better?

Those older triggers and cone hammer are nice. I've never seen a different grip angle before, that one looks like it was buffed and re-finished.
 
Those older triggers and cone hammer are nice. I've never seen a different grip angle before, that one looks like it was buffed and re-finished.

I agree that it could very well be. The milled areas usually have some "1897 chatter" from the tools of the day.

The thing here though that's thrown me is that this is a custom order gun, something the factories of the peroid were known for doing.... for the right price of course ;). The markings are extremely sharp and look like they just rolled off of the press. It's either a very professional refinish done in factory period style, or was requested to look that way at time of custom order.

Mauser factory had a hard time with the initial run of C-96, so they did what they had to in order to sell the gun including a few custom orders and attempts at variations. Of course a custom order would likely have brought in more money for them, probably the same as selling multiple C-96 so they wouldn't turn down the request.
 
Do you know of many others with the swept back grip angle?

Not many, was really upset when I seen another last year that I wasn't able to jump on. I would say that these swept grips wouldn't even register as a variant as they were custom order and not one of the many trial variants the factory produced. Very few of them none the less being a custom item :).
 
Beautiful.

Puts my 1915 Red 9 with a Chinese repro stock to shame....

But my Red 9 is compatible in ammo with both my G17 and my CZ....and finding the old .30 Mauser ammo was getting HARD.
 
it still has the factory lines where they milled out the side pannels in the receiver the other one is polished smooth in them areas.

that one looks like it was buffed and re-finished.

Well I've got an update for those who were wondering about this; this is 100% factory done :D.

It took a bit of work to get into as I fashioned some tools to get into it without putting a scratch on her. Once into it I can happily report that this is 100% matching w:h:.

Now for the good stuff.... the swept grip is mated to the frame with a retaining pin. There is a inspection proofmark on the retaining pin holding the custom gripstrap, which by European proofmark law would have only been added by the factory. To add to the fact that the pin is proofmarked it has been permanently placed (I assume brazed but I can't really tell, it's incredibly well done) into the pistol in that everything is blue around it while the retaining pin for the grip is still "in the white" and bears the inspectors proofmark that can also be found on various pieces of the gun. There are no tell tale signs of a refinish at all, this is 100% factory done, fully matching, and near mint.

Lots of work put into this one, but I'm very pleased with the result :D.
 
Back
Top Bottom