An old 1894 winchester in 32special

dthunter

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I come accross someone selling this rifle, any idea what its worth?


Serial number indicates it was Made in 1911-1912.

Caliber: 32 Special
20" round barrel
Fair condition, bluing is about 70%.
rifling has some corrosion/pitting. It would guess the bore to be 70% ish,
maybe a little Less.
Wood is about 75% condition or better.

On the side of the reciever it looks like there may have been a sadle ring. But only a round flatish piece remains.

I woul dsupply pictures, but the rifle doesnt belong to me. I dont think that would be appropriate yet.
What do you guys think its worth?
 
Last edited:
So overall it is in fair condition? Sounds like just another shooter/wall hanger rifle. I won't comment on a price until I see pic's.
 
Hard to say without photos. But from your description sounds like a standard saddle ring carbine with the ring missing and the ring eye cut off. Saddle rings were often removed because they were noisy in the woods. If that is the case, value isn't great, maybe $400 in my area. The .32 WS is the least desirable chambering in the 1894 for collectors, don't really know why.
 
give me a break mlehtovaara!
That is just silly!

A friends husband died, and I am trying to get an idea of a value for the gun to sell! I dont know much about the values of this vintage rifle, and I dont want anyone to take advantage of her! I want to give her a ballpark/approximate value she can put on it. I am simply doing her a big favor!
 
From what I remember reading so far $400 is pretty ballpark for good/VG condition. Rust and pitting would drop that pretty fast. The round barrel, .32 calibre, bubba'd saddle ring all make it lose a few hundred dollars. It should have a nitro proofed barrel so smokeless powder is fine in it.

Only rebarrel/rechamber the rifle if you are going to keep it as that will drop it's value even more. These rifles are collectables but too many have been to Bubba's House of Butchery.
 
$300-$500. 32 spl does not sell as well as 30-30 or 38-55.

Value depends on condition. A "grey" rifle with nice bore, tight action and uncracked wood might bring $400-$500 range. Pitting in the barrel, heavy wear, bad wood, missing or non-original parts, and mechanical issues knock value down from there.

I paid $300 for a M94 SRC 38-55 with a welded tang, poor wood, super-tight action and excellent bore a few weeks ago. :)
 
I would tell her to as $400 for it and be open to offers...I would say the average 94 in 32 special goes for $400, but then again we do not know what condition it is in.

As a side note, my grandfathers childhood rifle was a 94 in 32 special...heard wonderful stories about it as a kid and it is now a key piece in my safe. He claims to have been able to hit a lightbulb at 75 paces, then shoot the little piece of metal right off. He also took down a bear in northern ontario with 3 shots to the heart as the bear was moving. Good old grandfather tales eh? never can tell whats true and what isn't...anyways just thinking of the rifle brought back good memories sorry for rambling in your thread.

as a side note anyone know any good loads? I tried some remington 170 grain core lokt soft point and they were shooting all over the place..and i know for a fact 2 years ago when my grandfather was still shooting (in his 80's i might add) he was able to shoot amazing groups at almost any distance. And it is not my shooting as i am in the army reserves and qualified as a marksman...suggestions?
 
Usually any of the old factory loads shoot fine in a 94. They never were a target rifle. What do you mean by "shooting all over the place"? What size groups, at what range?
 
What loads did your garandfather shoot? That worked before so just shoot the same stuff if you know what it was.

I've never noticed a lot of difference but had best luck with the winchester super-x 170 gr in 30-30. Learning to shoot those old iron sights is a slightly different skill set than the shooting you do in the CF reserves. Keep practising and i bet you find you can tighten up the groups a fair bit.
 
Back
Top Bottom