Anchored a whitetail "old school" today during general rifle season

hakx

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
88   0   0
Location
Edmonton
My TC White Mountain Carbine that I bought for less than $300 off the EE a few months ago. Tried to shoot cast, but they flew like wounded ducks out of that 1:20 twist:mad:. Went back to my tried and true Hornady XTP 300's w/ MMP short sabots + 80 grains of real GOEX BP. Lasered her at 135 yards. Hit her high in the shoulder / Spine. DRT. I won't lie to you...when I saw her, I was wishing that I had my scoped Abolt 300WM but I decided to leave that in the truck, as the shorter rifle was much handier pushing bush with.

 
Last edited:
Lies! Not possible! Any hunter will tell you that you must hunt with 12ga slugs or 300win mag!? Are you sure the deer didn't die of a heart attack from all that smoke...couldn't have been the underpowered BP projectile...I heard they'll bounce off hide at 50 yards! :p.

Nice doe! :)
 
Well done! I am trying to get one of our Black tail deer on Vancouver Island with my 12 gauge muzzle loader. wish the weather was more friendly as the rain makes it almost impossible to use a flint lock.
 
Well done! I am trying to get one of our Black tail deer on Vancouver Island with my 12 gauge muzzle loader. wish the weather was more friendly as the rain makes it almost impossible to use a flint lock.

I remember some time ago I used to venture up passed Mt Washington to the west side and hunt the blacktails with my trusty 6.5 Swede. Had plenty of luck too with my 12g pump east of the power line up towards Black Creek.
 
Roger that, less than 1:48 you should shoot only copper jackets in plastic. At 135 yards, the cast bullet would not have the energy to kill at deer anyway.
 
Last edited:
Well done! I am trying to get one of our Black tail deer on Vancouver Island with my 12 gauge muzzle loader. wish the weather was more friendly as the rain makes it almost impossible to use a flint lock.

Get some scrap leather and make a hood for your flint. Saddle soap it good and loosely tie it underneath. When you close your pan rub wax along the seam to seal it from the moisture. The old timers used bear grease to seal their pans in the rain.
 
Nice shot, nice gun. I shot my first deer with a .54 Hawken and a round ball. You're making me want to bring the old girl out of retirement, been a few years. I went inline for the ease of cleaning, but there's something about cocking a sidelock that's just.....awesome.
 
Back
Top Bottom