but i do it even more on a wound and or damascus barrel because there has been more then one case of one turning into a slinky lol.
You must live in a unique area; in over 30 years of shooting antique guns, I have never seen one "unwind". The barrel that did burst on me, did so in a straight line because of both a very thin barrel and pitting completely through it into the void space between the barrels. While I have heard one or two stories of damascus guns bursting, such cases occurred many years ago when the person relating was a teenager and there was no way of telling how poor a condition the gun was in. While I would not recommend it, I even know of a couple of guns which had a perforated weld open to the outside (and not into the void space between the barrels) and which had been shot. The barrels on those guns were .020" or more thick, the gap was well down the barrel towards the muzzle and was only for about 1/3 of the circumference and into the open air
cheers mooncoon






















































