I picked up a french percussion cape gun at a gun show about 1 month ago and finally had it out to the range today. The gun has one 53 cal rifled barrel and one 60 cal smooth barrel. The left hammer was missing when I bought it plus the nipples required replacing. It seems to have a fairly fast twist to the barrel (about 1 : 30") and my initial shots tell me I am going to have to play with loads and powder granulations for a while. There is very little drop to the stock which combined with a fairly wide cheek area makes the gun difficult to aim. (also there is no rear sight nor dovetail for one)
I made the hammer by bending a piece of 1/2 round stock in an S shape plus a bit of filing and welded it to some 3/16 x 1" flat bar. The tumbler shafts on this gun are hexagonal and I formed the hole in the hammer by drilling a hole smaller than the hexagon then heating the base of the hammer red hot and hammering a allen key through the hole. I was lucky in that the shaft dimensions matched one of my allen keys.
I should mention that I have contoured the hammer a lot more following the photo of it rough fitted to the tumbler shaft
cheers mooncoon
I made the hammer by bending a piece of 1/2 round stock in an S shape plus a bit of filing and welded it to some 3/16 x 1" flat bar. The tumbler shafts on this gun are hexagonal and I formed the hole in the hammer by drilling a hole smaller than the hexagon then heating the base of the hammer red hot and hammering a allen key through the hole. I was lucky in that the shaft dimensions matched one of my allen keys.
I should mention that I have contoured the hammer a lot more following the photo of it rough fitted to the tumbler shaft
cheers mooncoon


















































