another old shotgun

drslav

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
284   0   0
Location
Kanadastan
can anyone tell me anything about this old shotgun? make age value etc? picked it up as a wall hanger but appears to be in decent condition after a little clean up. Belgian is as far as i know. Looks to be something like 12 ga. Action still nice and tight.I appreciate any info. thanks:popCorn:
photo1-1.jpg

photo2-6.jpg

photo-6.jpg
 
With the amount of colour case remaining on the receiver and hammers, it appears to be in much better shape than most shotguns of the type. That makes it more interesting. There were untold thousands of Belgian shotguns sold in North America a century ago. Most were rode hard and put away wet. Yours looks to be a very good example. These guns are very under appreciated.
 
Its a nice old gun. It came out great after bit of cleaning...no way of knowing the actual age or value eh?
The barrel looks new inside too just have to lightly clean the chambers. Unfortunately the outside is all patina. No markings on the top of it. Any idea if this is black powder or smokeless? I may actually attempt to fire it since its in such good shape. BP of course with some brass shells.
 
Check chamber length, make sure the shells aren't too long.
Value? I was tempted to buy a Belgian ca. 1900 gun of this general type @$325, because it was absolutely as new. Only one I'd ever seen in that condition. Passed on the deal, although I would have scooped it up at $250.
I think yours might be in the $150 range, based on condition.
 
It's probably a 2.5" chamber or possibly 2-9/16", but not 2-3/4". Regardless - 2.5" shells will be fine. I would try shooting it with 2.5" low pressure shotshells, either smokeless or BP.
 
thanks guys.I guess i got a decent deal then.
i think id like to get some of them brass shells for it. Will look up some light loads too. I prefer smokeless but i don't want to get in trouble with it.
 
Back
Top Bottom