another what have I got got here thread...

FLHTCUI

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
138   0   1
So, my cousin inherited this Marlin lever from his next door neighbor or 25 years who passed from ALS and I HATE ALS as much as I HATE CANCER.
Anyways, it is a lever action octagonal barrel with a feed tube.
The picture of the feed port open has a 308 case for size comparison.
Right now, there are no oal measurements , just tossing it out there for some quick info.
Thanks much in advance.
Rob
[url=https://imgur.com/YaXApBc][/URL]

[url=https://imgur.com/pXv3q8m][/URL]

http://[url=https://imgur.com/nRHny1l][/URL]
 
Last edited:
So, earlier this morning I was on a web site for Marlin and stumbled upon some information that suggested this might be a rim-fire and that it could be converted to center fire (back in the day)
Suggested the firing pin would have been wrapped in paper and attached to the finger lever at the point of sale.
[url=https://imgur.com/6VN5vlC][/URL]
http://[url=https://imgur.com/npaqQ31][/URL]
[url=https://imgur.com/J83EHpU][/URL]
[url=https://imgur.com/tO8ZwwB][/URL]
Thanks for any information or direction to further research this firearm.
Rob
 
A caliper at the muzzle should tell most of the story. If it is a convertible during pin I'm guessing 32rf / 32 Colt? (I think 32colt is a heeled bullet the same as the rimfires. 32S&W is larger diameter.)

Looks like a take down so should be easy to pull apart and look at the end of the bolt.
 
Is it a take-down or does the sideplate only come off?
I suspect it is a Model 1892, .32 convertible.
 
As stated before, it is a Marlin Model 1892 in .32 Long or Short Colt / .32 Long or Short Rimfire. I have one just like it. Take off the steel butt-plate. Sometimes the other firing pin was stored in a recess under the butt-plate. If 1 of the firing pins are missing, they are easily made by any skilled metal worker. 32 Long & Short Colt can still be found at any good gunshow at fairly reasonable prices. the rimfire ammo is also available, but at much steeper collector prices.
Nice old Marlin!
 
Thank You all for the information .
Your tips have given me a lot more researching opportunities that my initial attempts where lacking.
I'm leaning to a 32 Cal rimfire/centerfire conversion, but until my cousin takes a vernier caliper to the bore and the screw out to open the side plate I am guessing with your assistance.
Thank you All.
Rpb
 
Back
Top Bottom