A lot of good comments have been put forward.
I bought/traded for my first Colt M1860 in 1989---I did not know what to look for in determining its value. I just knew that I wanted a Civil War Colt Army revolver.
Manufactured in early 1862--serial number 48595--I can't identify the inspector's cartouche on the right grip.
I am a collector ----I don't shoot my collectible pieces.
I have since learned more about collectible M1860 Colt issues---original finish---matching serial numbers on all of the relavent components---clear markings including the cylinder scene---a functioning action and correct indexing---inspector's acceptance grip markings (cartouches) visible or not.
In June 2001 I bought my second M1860 Colt Army revolver at the Gettysburg Civil War show.
It is definitely an upgrade from my first M1860.
Manufactured in early 1863 serial number 92346--'JT' cartouche on both grips---for Inspector John Taylor.
My sense based on the photos that I saw---your revolver is likely to be of the most interest to a fellow that wants to shoot an original M1860 Colt Army----not to a 'more serious condition' collector.
Whatever that value might be ??? I don't know that market.
These old Colts fit into many different categories---look at this one.
Cased Colt Civilian Model 1860 Army Revolver in Exceptional Condition, with Accessories.
I noticed this piece being offered on Greg Martin Auctions back in January 2010.
The estimate was $100,000-$150,000.....it sold for $85,000.
I assume this is what they 'might have' looked like back in the 1860's when they came out of Colt's factory.
