Another Win 1886 Value Question

Andy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
329   0   0
Location
Ottawa
A sticky might be in order.

I have an early M1886 (manufactured in 1888) in the common 45/70 with a round barrel. Overall in Good condition with original finish, but the bore, while having some shine, has very worn lands. The grooves are not worn (it slugs 0.458") and I have shot it and it showed decent accuracy, but the bore is an issue. There is some wood shrinkage around where the buttstock meets the receiver, but it is tight.

Can someone please offer a Canadian value range?
 
That's a tough one. Firstly being a round barrel you will lose at least 25%+ over a octagon version. If it is a standard configuration ( 26" barrel, FMCB) and the usual no finish left you would be looking in the $1500-$2000 range.

BUT... there are so many other variables like special order features, sights and even if it has been altered. Another thing to consider is the lower tang, it slides out of the frame and can be swapped with any other frame taking the serial number with it, which is why the Cody birth certificate is a must on the high end guns.
 
Thanks for the info. Here are some pics that might fill in the blanks.

Win_1886_1.jpg

Win_1886_2.jpg

Win_1886_3.jpg

Win_1886_4.jpg

Win_1886_5.jpg
 
Your frame and end cap were case harden, you know the oil slick color and it has long since wore off. There is still a fair bit of blueing on the mag and barrel but I think your butt stock has been sanded down a bit at one time. When you see it from the side you can see a bit of the tang sides, normally this exposure would not be prevalent and it might explain the lighter color of the butt stock. But hey, what do I know, I've been told that have been out to lunch before so take this with a grain of salt;)
 
Your frame and end cap were case harden, you know the oil slick color and it has long since wore off. There is still a fair bit of blueing on the mag and barrel but I think your butt stock has been sanded down a bit at one time. When you see it from the side you can see a bit of the tang sides, normally this exposure would not be prevalent and it might explain the lighter color of the butt stock. But hey, what do I know, I've been told that have been out to lunch before so take this with a grain of salt;)

I agree, the buttplate tang looks to be proud, too. This amount of wood loss can't be attributed to shrinkage. Too bad, that's the original 1886 butt with the bigger buttplate. It would be very hard to find a replacement.:(
 
I'm not sure but I would say barrels have been replaced,the colour is not uniform to the receiver, usually when the nickel gives way the blue it is done evenly across the whole gun. Just my two bits,and a observation. It may have been a salvage of the receiver with parts from other 1886's to make one good one,not sure and just a guess as to the explanation for the other observations from above. If it is then price would still be decent around $800 to 1200.
 
I'm not sure but I would say barrels have been replaced,the colour is not uniform to the receiver, usually when the nickel gives way the blue it is done evenly across the whole gun. Just my two bits,and a observation. It may have been a salvage of the receiver with parts from other 1886's to make one good one,not sure and just a guess as to the explanation for the other observations from above. If it is then price would still be decent around $800 to 1200.

Pre-Nickel steel barrel! And the receiver would have been case hardened on that one. The colours dissolve in WD-40.
 
I sold a rapid taper lightweight last year that was refinished for $1500, so the bottom line is the gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Most of the winchesters are bottom rung here anyway. For middle and top rung, prices are in the many, to tens of thousands. Check out Cabela's yank site, go to gun library . click on winchesters, scroll down to 86's and prepare to keep your arseholes puckered:eek:
 
Back
Top Bottom