Another Winchester 1895 question

kevwat

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
145   0   0
Location
Duncan, BC
I have no idea about winchesters and I won't pretend to either so be gentle. My question is this: is the Winchester 1895 SRC or 1895 musket butt plate specific just to the model 1895 or are there other models that use the same carbine butt plate. I'm looking for the carbine butt plate, original or repro and there seems to be no specific reference that I can find. Should I be google'ing another model? And what about the lower band with the screw through the middle, is that also specific to just the 1895 or are there others that fit. I ask because I need both parts and I can't find anything. Any help is appreciated.
 
As far as I know model 95 parts are specific to the 95 unlike the 92 and 94, on which many will interchange(stocks, mag tubes, barrel bands, sights etc.) I don't know any place in Canada that sells antique Winchester parts except Western Gun Parts occasionnally has some. If you know some one in the states who can purchase them for you, you can phone Buckinghams Antique Winchesters in Trenton, Tennessee, phone 731-559-4367. They may be able to help.
 
Last edited:
Like Mike said, most parts are model specific for the 1895. Carbine buttstocks, while similar in form to those on the 1892 and 1894 carbines, are inletted differently for the buttplate tang. They are also drilled for the US Govt Cleaner, and have a recess was milled for the buttplate trapdoor spring. 1895 buttstocks won't accept an 1892 / 1894 carbine plate as the curve at the butt is not as radical and the tang cut out too short. As for the screw for the barrel band, that is not interchangeable with other models either. The thread size for the carbine barrel band screw is 6-48. I would certainly try ol' Buckingham. A buddy of mine has bought lots from him in the past. I guess he's got some stash. Good chance he might have what you need.
Matt
 
Back
Top Bottom