Anschutz at 100yds?

trky chsr

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Location
Ontario
I'm thinking of getting a Anschutz Match 54 if I can find one but knowing they were designed for 50yd how do they shoot with that long barrel at 100? I have a CZ 452 Varmint and a 457 in a MDT chassis both wih 20" barrels that shoot very well at 100 but I've always wanted an Annie. Just wondering if I should just spend the money on ammo. TC
 
It will shoot if you do your part and feed it some decent ammo!
I borescope any and all rifles I get my hands on. The Annie had the most mirror-like bore I've ever seen. The lapping job on that thing was phenomenal. that shows in the groups.
 
I'm thinking of getting a Anschutz Match 54 if I can find one but knowing they were designed for 50yd
Many .22LR rifles that are made primarily for shooting 3P events (like at the Olympics and ISSF) are designed for shooting from standing, kneeling, and prone. The rifle itself or its accuracy is not limited in any way to 50 yards/meters.

I often shoot Anschutz 54 action rifles at 100 yards and they can do quite well at that distance when good ammo is used and wind is taken into account.
 
Id take a 54 over a 457, but that is just me.

Im sure I could get my 64s to do an inch at 100 with decent ammo. Running entry level Eley is 1.4ish 10 shot groups. But got couple with single fliers that would been an inch.
 
This was not shot with an Annie 54, but an older model 37 Remington with a 15X Lyman Super Targetspot scope. It was quite a few years back when I could still see well. this is the rifle, but the ammo is not what it was shot with in the pic, I think it was RWS R50
Distance was not 100 but 200 yards.
Bear in mind that this target was shot using an aiming point much higher than the actual target because the Lyman scope ran out of turret !😁
Cat
Remington 37.jpg200yardrem37.jpg
 
Last edited:
Best .22 LR shooters I've ever watched were the ladies and gents using diopter sights at training sessions before the biathlon race.

They were nothing short of amazing using non magnified optic options to hit 25 mmm targets out to 100 metres.
 
Best .22 LR shooters I've ever watched were the ladies and gents using diopter sights at training sessions before the biathlon race.

They were nothing short of amazing using non magnified optic options to hit 25 mmm targets out to 100 metres.
Biathlon is shot at 50 meters. That's the distance at which they would train, especially before the race itself. In the prone position the targets are 45mm (1.8") and standing they are 115mm (4.5"). Scoring is hit or miss.

Serious biathletes use Anschutz Fortner biathlon models. It's been a while since Anschutz made 54 action models for biathlon, the 1427 and the rare 1827 non-Fortner model available around 1985-1986,
 
Last edited:
Effortlessly
Our targets out to 200m are 1x3-3x3 steel squares with a Sally Anne frying pan at 300m. there’s only a couple high end dedicated target platforms,no ones shooting Eley.
 
Biathlon is shot at 50 meters. That's the distance at which they would train, especially before the race itself. In the prone position the targets are 45mm (1.8") and standing they are 115mm (4.5"). Scoring is hit or miss.

Serious biathletes use Anschutz Fortner biathlon models. It's been a while since Anschutz made 54 action models for biathlon, the 1427 and the rare 1827 non-Fortner model available around 1985-1986,
It was a show shoot event of a provincial amateur team in 1979.

And thanks, I know at what distance/positions biathlon is shot at.

I didn't know what size of target they use for practise nowadays.

So thanks for clarification (y)
 
Last edited:
Annies will do the job at 100 yards but remember so will the wind. Mouse farts will spoil groups at that distance. If you glean through some of our top shooters reports you will notice they strive to be out on a windless EARLY morning where you get about 45 minutes of dead calm. By 8.30am you may have missed the boat.

To make a point to yourself place multiple targets on a vertical piece of cardboad. You will notice ‘ground effect’ wind will displace bullets different at each level. If you need convincing do it with an air rifle at 100 yards. It will be a Eureka moment.
 
If you want to do some searching, the best deal on an "Annie 54" is the Scorpio EM322A... Older manf with the 20", 6 groove barrels

These ARE Annie 54 clones with some Chinese simplifications. Got them as a joke, was blown away by how well that batch shot. We eventually got 8 rifles all of which shot great. I competed with mine out to 400yds and it took me to the podium vs some very gucchi gear.

I would lean on the threaded version so that I can add a tuner. SK rifle match as a base... better Lapua Center X or Midas+. Lots matter and it is so rare to get a lot without some percentage of flyers. More money, good lot = less flyers.

1" or better at 100yds 5X5rds... and accept the small percentage that are flyers. Competition lots would be no more then 3rds in that 25rds test outside 1" but still inside 1.5".. Practise lot may still have 3 to 4 flyers but those zingers push 2" or more.



20230928_081645.jpg

Did not find the micro groove barrels to shoot all that well. The EM332X with the shorty barrels were meh.

If you don't need a sub 2lbs trigger, the Scorpio can be a great find. If you want light pulls, get a true annie as the scorpio uses a stand alone trigger group.

The actions polish up extremely smooth. Metal mags actually run well too. Some modifications needed for a scope base or you can just grooved receiver rings

Jerry
 
Last edited:
I used to have a 54 Match built in 1971 equipped with factory peep sights and it could do this at 100 metersIMG_1331.jpeg and these 2 at 100 meters with a CZ452 Varmint(scoped) and the final is target is at 50 meters with peeps with
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1334.jpeg
    IMG_1334.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1332.jpeg
    IMG_1332.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1333.jpeg
    IMG_1333.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom