Antique Belgian revolver question.

tula

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I have an Antique Belgian DBL action revolver ...im curious about the cylinder stop....it seems that there is a fixed stop on the top of the trigger protruding up through the cylinder stop slot, that locks the cylinder in place when the triggers pressed all the way, other then that there dosnt seem to be a stop for when the hammers down, it free wheels to the right, (dont have a hammer in it yet still trying to figure out how to make or fit an old one in her) works nicely though squeeze the trigger and the cylinder rolls through with perfect timing and at the moment the hammer would release that solid stop locks it up nicely. just wanted to hear what you guys have to say about the cylinder stop.
 
yep thats all there is to lock it when firing, when not firing it rolls free to the right but soon as you squeeze the trigger she rolls right into place and locks up good, as it should, seems odd im used to my wheel guns having thier cylinder locked when the hammers up or down.
 
wish I could find a hammer. where would a guy look for one ?

I am guessing that the hammer looks like the one below for a S&W 32 hand ejector model. I have a french copy in 11 mm and a belgian copy in 12 mm both of which have identical actions and are similar but not identical to the S&W shown. The hammer for all intents and purposes is identical. The top of the trigger pushes up on that pivoting arm on the front of the hammer until eventually it slips past and the hammer falls.
Conceivably you could file a hammer out of raw material and the only really difficult part would be milling a slot into the front edge of the hammer for the pivot point of that arm. That arm does not swing forward but does pivot back after firing so that the top of the trigger can return to position for cocking the gun
A much easier method would be to make the gun into a single action

cheers mooncoon



Handejectorhammer.jpg
 
post a picture of the iron,maybe someone has one like it and can give you specs to work from.
I've only got 1 Belgian left but I'd yank the hammer for a pic and measure session if it's the same.
 
I will when I get a few picts...its a belgian spin off of a smith & wesson dbl ation first model tipup autoejector pocket revolver ...even has the smith & wesson trade name faked on it pat date and all.
 
LMAO-does it look anything like this Belgian copy of a S&W first model double action?



this is a full size copy complete with barrel stamping(last pat.date is fudged to avoid infringement)
I actually prefer it to the real S&W that it's a copy of.
I sold the Smith and kept the Belgian ;)
I'm partial to Belgian iron!
 
This S&W is the Real Deal :D one of my favorite guns.
44 Russian and 44 Special.
S&W DA long strap model
Theses are so much better made than the belgian copys of S&Ws.

I had a belgian copy simlar to the one posted in the Below post.
When i fired it at the Range the Nickle plateing on the Cylinder broke away flew off like Shrapnell nearly hitting the fellow next to me LOL
The gun spit lead out the sides around the chambers and spat stuff back at me.
Needless to say im not big on belgian guns unless there made by well know craftsmen like Francotte ECT


PA170049.jpg
 
LMAO-does it look anything like this Belgian copy of a S&W first model double action?



this is a full size copy complete with barrel stamping(last pat.date is fudged to avoid infringement)
I actually prefer it to the real S&W that it's a copy of.
I sold the Smith and kept the Belgian ;)
I'm partial to Belgian iron!

Just wanted this picture on the same page as my gun so the diffrence Between the REAL S&W and this gun can be seen ;)
Not all belgian guns are bad ive just not been to lucky with them is all...

If ya look the belgians did a pretty good copy tho.
 
Last edited:
OK off topic still,(sorry tula)
I have to say I've had good luck with Belgian iron,specially ones wearin the right proofs,and this one is no different.
I gave it a once over,cut down some 45Colt brass and started shootin. :)
 
OK off topic still,(sorry tula)
I have to say I've had good luck with Belgian iron,specially ones wearin the right proofs,and this one is no different.
I gave it a once over,cut down some 45Colt brass and started shootin. :)

Ya the one i had was a Sad gun it came from South america where some Goncho was useing it to shoot gators in the swamp! :D
It was rust pitted, then very heavy nickled over top the rust.
It wasnt that accurate.
I had one belgian gun built by francotte and another guy it was just a beauty.

If he needs a hammer best to post a picture.
the problem with belgian guns is there 100s of gun makers there so finding another hammer the same might be very hard.
sometimes with a picture a Close to hammer can be found and altered to work.

I posted that picture of my S&W to show or compare to your picture that the Copys were pretty close eh.
The Belgians did a good job Copying there quality controll coulda used some tweeking.
Tho not as good as the Germans with the Ludwig Lowe Russian model copy of the S&W Russian.
The german copy was prety much identical.
 
and the caliber is odd ball its around .41 ...its exactly the same frame size as a .38 dbl action smith and wesson first model I handled, finding a mainspring wont be a prob I probably have one it my parts drawer ...just need a hammer awful bugger to find.
 
BrotherRockeye, is there any way you could pull the hammer out in that Belgian revolver you posted the pict of and take a picture of it? if I cant find a hammer, useing a pict of the one you have I might beable to figure out how to make one.
 
Back
Top Bottom