Antique Caliber Conversions

I get a little uneasy about stuff like this, especially discussed on a public forum. Yes, the 17 Mach 2 is not on the 'no go' list of antique cartridges, so your pistol would still be a legal antique, but it is this kind of stuff that might get certain people thinking it is time to re-visit the law when it comes to antiques. It is one thing to convert a pre-1898 pistol to another pre-1898 caliber that isn't on the 'no go' list. But to convert it to a cartridge that even the average Toronto suburbanite would recognize as modern is the kind of thing that might get enough of them worried to wreck things for us. Personally, I would prefer to stick with old cartridges, if not pre-1898 cartridges, if one is going to do any converting, and stay away from obviously modern cartridges. The other issue is whether these old guns turn to shrapnel under the kind of pressures generated by the 22 Mag or the 17 Mach 2. I don't know the answer to that one. Call me a stick-in-the-mud if you like, but that is my opinion for what it is worth.

I'm of the same thinking. Threads like these frustrate me, and are ill advised. If one wants to shoot volumes of a modern caliber, antiques aren't for you, just buy a restricted and head to the range. Calling the CFC with these sorts of questions is a very bad idea. We have one kind exemption with antique pistols, let's not ruin it.
 
I'm of the same thinking. Threads like these frustrate me, and are ill advised. If one wants to shoot volumes of a modern caliber, antiques aren't for you, just buy a restricted and head to the range. Calling the CFC with these sorts of questions is a very bad idea. We have one kind exemption with antique pistols, let's not ruin it.

X-2 the regs are easy to understand make your own decision.
 
I'm of the same thinking. Threads like these frustrate me, and are ill advised. If one wants to shoot volumes of a modern caliber, antiques aren't for you, just buy a restricted and head to the range. Calling the CFC with these sorts of questions is a very bad idea. We have one kind exemption with antique pistols, let's not ruin it.

Exactly!
 
if you all think .32 rimfires are a chore to feed, tri to find some ammo for the old pin fire guns lol!!!! i had the chance to buy an old european pin fire revolver that was in some oddball sized 11.something caliber! and at the time i found only one custom ammo maker who would build the ammo for me, and he said it would run between $30-$50 per round!!!!

needless to say i deep sixed that idea lol!!!!
 
if you all think .32 rimfires are a chore to feed, tri to find some ammo for the old pin fire guns lol!!!! i had the chance to buy an old european pin fire revolver that was in some oddball sized 11.something caliber! and at the time i found only one custom ammo maker who would build the ammo for me, and he said it would run between $30-$50 per round!!!!

needless to say i deep sixed that idea lol!!!!

I have a pinfire revolver and make my own ammo for it. I tried several different ways of making it before finding something that wasn't to hard to make. Same with my Colt Newline 30RF. Get yourself a cartridge chart and then find something that fits the cylinder pretty close, then improvise the rest. For the 30rf I started with a 22 Hornet case and worked it from there. The pinfire started with some brass tubing that I bought at a hobby store.
 
if you all think .32 rimfires are a chore to feed, tri to find some ammo for the old pin fire guns lol!!!! i had the chance to buy an old european pin fire revolver that was in some oddball sized 11.something caliber! and at the time i found only one custom ammo maker who would build the ammo for me, and he said it would run between $30-$50 per round!!!!

needless to say i deep sixed that idea lol!!!!

Code:
http://www.hc-collection.com/
 
38-55 just gave some sound advice!!! instead of wining about someone asking a question that may have been asked months or years ago(Some of us actually do not have time to read every post or thread everyday) incourage them to ask "DELICATE" questions thru P.Ms or emails. Antiques are a delicate subject, lets not stir the pot too much. we are(most of us) all in this wonderful,for lack of a better word,sport together.POPS
 
I have a pinfire revolver and make my own ammo for it. I tried several different ways of making it before finding something that wasn't to hard to make. Same with my Colt Newline 30RF. Get yourself a cartridge chart and then find something that fits the cylinder pretty close, then improvise the rest. For the 30rf I started with a 22 Hornet case and worked it from there. The pinfire started with some brass tubing that I bought at a hobby store.

and so how did you modify such a cartridge? i am currious, because i have no idea as to how to make, the pin priming mechanism work! i thought that i could possibly do it using NO.11 percussion caps, but they seem a bit large for use in a modified cartridge? any info would be great, because i can buy alot of pin fire firearms fairly cheaply!
 
I use #11 caps sitting upside down in a home made case. With larger calibers that is not a problem because they have relatively strong hammers. When I tried it in a 28 caliber pinfire, the caps do not fire and my guess is that the curved bottom that the cap sits on, is absorbing too much energy. My next attempt with small caliber pinfires will be to make a square recess for the cap to sit in. In my case, I work from solid stock on the lathe except for pinfire shotgun shells where I made a solid brass head and expanded 1/2 copper tubing into the body of a 16 guage shot shell then soldered the two together

cheers mooncoon
 
Cadgo:

I have played with the idea for some time - and can do the job, but the time involved is going to be over the edge. I may have time in the next couple of weeks to do one.

The pressure in a Mach 2 is high - and they do not work safely in a semi, but a revolver will have some different issues - like the need for perfect timing. Other issues come to mind, but experience will be the only good teacher - and each gun will have it's own issues to deal with.

---------- Rod ----------
 
Back
Top Bottom