Antique Colt SAA

Casperpan68

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Location
Toronto
Found an really nice Colt SAA in the states, it's consider an antique in the states as well. Have paperwork from Colt to proof that is an antique. How would I go about importing this ? Or do I even need to import it ?
 
Just because it's an antique in the US doesn't mean it's an antique in Canada. We have different criteria and ridiculous caliber restrictions. You will want to verify that it's antique here before you gift it to CBSA.
You should also be aware that although the rules haven't changed, how they are interpreted has, and now iron has to be originally in an antique caliber to be deemed an antique in Canada. A 38 Special that was originally a 45 Colt no longer qualifies from what I understand.
If it does qualify as antique in Canada, then having the shipper fill out an antique verification letter helps speed things along ime.
I made one up with a US gunsmith years ago and have posted it here several times for others to use.
 
yup. Just have them fill out the USPS declaration and ship away. Make sure it's tracked and insured.
Any pertinent information like production year, caliber etc that make it obviously qualify as antique in Canada should be in the box, as it will likely get perused.
 
When I bought antiques in the US I would photocopy the info from Flaydermans book, highlight the important info, send it down to the seller with the money order [they don't do emts] and have them enclose that info with the gun. Never had a problem.
 
You can contact the rcmp verification folks, let them know you are thinking of buying the gun and show pics etc and they will sent a letter stating it is not a firearm but an antique. Include a copy of the letter if the people you bought it from will mail it, most won't. If not get someone like Boarderview, IRG, or other importers to bring it in for you. a z tech armoury also imports.
 
Last edited:
[sarcasm]If you are going to contact the RCMP as suggested, make sure to give them your PAL number when you give them the information on the iron you are importing, that way even if you don't bother with an antique status letter they can still enter your non-gun into their ledger.[/sarcasm]

Now to be serious, of the dozens of antiques I imported over the years, EVERY SINGLE ONE came via USPS ground.

OP, if you don't have access to a Flaydermans as Willy suggested, PM me an email address I'll find a copy of the antique status verification letter I made up. It cites the pertinent US/Canadian laws pertaining to antiques and can be filled out and sent with the iron.
It's posted here someplace as well but it's been years and I don't know exactly where anymore.
 
yup. Just have them fill out the USPS declaration and ship away. Make sure it's tracked and insured.
Any pertinent information like production year, caliber etc that make it obviously qualify as antique in Canada should be in the box, as it will likely get perused.

I've done exactly this a couple times and it worked out fine. A short, well drafted letter that highlights the relevant information and how it relates to the Canadian definition of an antique does the trick just fine.
 
You can contact the rcmp verification folks, let them know you are thinking of buying the gun and show pics etc and they will sent a letter stating it is not a firearm but an antique. Include a copy of the letter if the people you bought it from will mail it, most won't. If not get someone like Boarderview, IRG, or other importers to bring it in for you. a z tech armoury also imports.

Yeah, the rcmp are going want "register" the gun first and then process it through the tech department and if it meets the criteria for prescribed antique they will de register and then send you a letter indicating it's an antique based on the info and pictures that you provided, use to be simple now can take weeks and months. Be warned last time I imported an antique handgun through IRG they registered as a restricted automatically before impotartation and it took me several months to take it off the restricted registry.
 
I used to email a declaration to the seller that would be printed and put in the box with the antique. The declaration simply noted the make, model, chambering, and DOM. Stated the gun was an antique and therefore a non-firearm by the laws of both USA and Canada and not subject to licensing or registration. Of the many i had shipped across the border, One was diverted to US DEPT OF HOMELAND SECURITYfor 3 days to be checked out, 2 spent a few weeks with Canada Customs before being released.I never had any issues and they all arrived. Most of the time the box hadn't even been opened for inspection.

The shipper in the US should say "pre-1898 antique" on the USPS customs declaration.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom