antique firearm question

smak_daddy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Location
big sky country
I know next to nothing about these guns and my question will reflect that.

When I was at the Calgary gun show there were some old muskets that did not require a PAL to purchase. I think they were flint lock.

If these guns don't require a PAL, do they require to be stored using the same storage laws? Whats the deal with these in Canada?
 
Flintlock long guns do not require PAL to purchase. It does not apply on the storage regulation either. Handguns with flintlock ignition are still restricted firearms and they do need to be stored accordingly.
 
The only storage regs are they must be unloaded .This used to be in the fact sheets at the CFC but they have been changed I think they want you to think they need to be locked as there used to be a section dealing with the safe storage of antiques.
 
The only storage regs are they must be unloaded .This used to be in the fact sheets at the CFC but they have been changed I think they want you to think they need to be locked as there used to be a section dealing with the safe storage of antiques.

This is my understanding. I have my 1884 Thunderer on a little stand on my shelf, unloaded of course, but not locked in any way.

Near the bottom:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

Safety Regulations

Under the Firearms Act, antique firearms must be stored, displayed and transported unloaded.

If you are transporting your antique firearms and need to leave them unattended*, leave them in your vehicle’s locked trunk or similar compartment. If your vehicle does not have a trunk or compartment, lock the vehicle and leave the antique firearms inside and out of sight.

Antique handguns must be locked in a heavy-duty, non-see-through container that cannot be easily broken open during transportation.
 
Last edited:
This is my understanding. I have my 1884 Thunderer on a little stand on my shelf, unloaded of course, but not locked in any way.

Near the bottom:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/antique-historique-eng.htm

Safety Regulations

Under the Firearms Act, antique firearms must be stored, displayed and transported unloaded.

If you are transporting your antique firearms and need to leave them unattended*, leave them in your vehicle’s locked trunk or similar compartment. If your vehicle does not have a trunk or compartment, lock the vehicle and leave the antique firearms inside and out of sight.

Antique handguns must be locked in a heavy-duty, non-see-through container that cannot be easily broken open during transportation.



I think if more people knew this they would be alot more People buying Antique revolvers.
I have a S&W DA 44 with a Speedloader handy. ;)

Most people think all Antiques are slow to load and the bullets bounce right off LOL
Thats just not the case.
 
Google Canadian Firearms Centre then click Search and enter Antique for the rules. It is fairly involved.
 
I've wondered about this for a while.... It was always my understanding that an antique is just that. It may be displayed unlocked (but unloaded) within one's home but still subject to regulary transport laws. CFC site used to call them "non guns" but was changed a while back. Anyone know the truth?
 
I've wondered about this for a while.... It was always my understanding that an antique is just that. It may be displayed unlocked (but unloaded) within one's home but still subject to regulary transport laws. CFC site used to call them "non guns" but was changed a while back. Anyone know the truth?

Transport antique handguns unloaded in a locked opaque container. No trigger lock needed.
 
Transport antique handguns unloaded in a locked opaque container. No trigger lock needed.

I think you would be wise to work on the assumption that any police you might deal with, have never heard of antique exemptions and store and transport the gun as if it were modern. Bit more hassle but compared to umpteen thousand in unrecoverable legal fees to prove yourself innocent, probably well worth it.

cheers mooncoon
 
I would just keep a copy of the antique regs with me.
Keep a copy of the antique regs with you, and the antique letter, and you are ready to go. I reduce the size of the copy so that you can just have one small piece of paper, printed both sides.
 
Tho I agree with Mooncoons Logic i dont trigger lock my Antique Pistolas.
I just carry the Regs and a RCMP Letter that states shes a Antique.
I guess it depends where you live and how often your Car has been searched!

I was stoped at a Road block years ago in my Old rusty Ford truck with garbage all over the floors not looking the best.
The Officer looked me in the Eyes and asked *Do you have anything Ilegal in the Truck* he was grinning when he asked that Question it was 10.30 in the morning.
I had a Antique Revolver a NWMP Enfield MKII in a Locked pistol case under the Rubish on the floor.
I just looked at him smiled back and said No and he waved me thru.

There was no Reason for me to say anything about the gun.

Now if he asked do you have any Firearms in the Truck im not sure saying No would be OK.

But the Letter should be Enough BUT have a copy of the REGS to.
 
I don't transport my antique six guns with a trigger lock either. They are in a locked box as the regs require, but that's it. I'm not a big fan of obeying non-existent laws.
 
No sir,
It is required of you is to follow all the regular rules appling to safety and to shoot in a area where its legal to do so.

Im sure that most of the guys in my reenactment reg have no pal, and most if not all of us enjoy shooting our military flintlocks often.

Just be safe, obey the laws and we can enjoy our hobby for generations to come!

:canadaFlag:
 
Back
Top Bottom