Antique flintlock pistols help

brooksy

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 88.9%
16   2   0
This might be a long shot but I though this would be the best place to ask!
I aquired these two pistols and was told the one was German and the other might be french. The german one says Brandi & Potts on it. I wanted to know if anyone is able to give them an approximate date by the pictures and origin? there are proof markings on the top on the german gun. Help would be greatly appreciated! sorry pictures arent the best.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=11w35ok&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1zmp1g2&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2hrjul4&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ahxiko&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2s8o7i9&s=3

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2v2jdk7&s=3
 
Last edited:
I aquired these two pistols and was told the one was German and the other might be french. The german one says Brandi & Potts on it. I wanted to know if anyone is able to give them an approximate date by the pictures and origin? there are proof markings on the top on the german gun. Help would be greatly appreciated! sorry pictures arent the best.

I think the Brandi and Potts is actually Brander and Potts of London 1812- 1832. The shape of the stocks and barrels makes me think they are closer to 1812 than later and I can't help wondering if the top one has had the forestock broken away and a small loop added to carry the ramrod. French guns tend to have the maker's name on the lock engraved in script and rather light rather than stamped. Proof marks or maker's marks on the barrels would be useful although, I think prior to 1800 or so, gun maker's often used Spanish barrels on pistols.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom